The Partenopei were said to be weighing up a €12.5 million bid for the Italy striker, who has netted just twice so far for the Reds

Napoli sporting director Riccardo Bigon has rubbished reports linking the Serie A side with Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli.

It had been claimed that the Partenopei were considering a €12 million bid for the Italy international, who only moved to Anfield from AC Milan just before the close of the summer transfer window.

However, Bigon insists that Napoli would have no chance of signing Balotelli even if they were interested in the 24-year-old striker.

“They’re speaking about Balotelli in Spain, England and Italy but it’s not a possibility. Nothing of what has been said is true.

“It’s not a feasible line. I don’t think this is a real story, though the fact is that Mario remains a great player.

“The boy has just been bought by Liverpool and given what their coach is saying, he’s an investment for the future of the club.

“We can only wish Mario all the best on his English adventure.”

Former Manchester City striker Balotelli has endured a difficult start to his second stint in the Premier League but he netted his second Liverpool goal in Tuesday’s Carling One Cup win over Swansea.