An article by an anonymous author claiming to have knowledge of the club’s transfer dealings appears to have confirmed a significant offer for the Celtic starlet

An article posted on West Ham’s official website has hinted that the club has submitted a £20 million bid for Celtic striker Moussa Dembele.

The piece, titled ‘The Insider’ and attributed to an anonymous author – whose views, it is stated, are “not necessarily the views of West Ham United” but is said to have inside knowledge of the club’s transfer dealings – claims “a bid of £20m” has been made for “a player from Scotland”.

Goal understands Dembele features on the Hammers’ list of potential striking targets along with Sunderland’s Jermain Defoe, Brentford’s Scott Hogan and Shane Long of Southampton, though Celtic have told Omnisport they are yet to receive an official offer.

Dembele has proved a big hit with the runaway Scottish Premiership leaders, scoring 19 goals in 36 goals across all competitions after signing from Fulham last year.

Five of those goals have arrived against bitter rivals Rangers and Parkhead boss Brendan Rodgers has insisted Celtic will not be persuaded to sell the 20-year-old Frenchman this month.

At a press conference to preview Friday’s FA Cup third-round tie at home to Manchester City, West Ham manager Slaven Bilic refused to discuss his club’s alleged interest in Dembele.

He did talk about his desire to sign veteran Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe and Brentford striker Scott Hogan – ventures that were apparently backed up by ‘The Insider’.

The piece claimed “an £8m bid was made for a player who currently plies his trade in the Championship” and also noted a “£6m bid for a current Premier League player”.