The reigning German champions’ sporting director has denied the club have shown any real interest in the Real Madrid defender
Bayern Munich sporting director Matthias Sammer has played down speculation linking the German champions with a move for Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos.
Reports in the Spanish media have suggested the Bundesliga leaders are keen to add the 28-year-old stopper to the squad, despite splashing out €26 million to sign Mehdi Benatia from Roma in August.
But Sammer has denied any interest in the Spain international, insisting the rumours that Ramos could be brought into the club to help replace injured duo David Alaba and Javi Martinez are nonsense.
“If the rumours in Spain were true, we’d be made up of four teams and have another Spanish sporting director,” Sammer told Sky.
“Ramos has a long-term contract with a pretty club.”
Austria international Alaba suffered a knee ligament injury during Bayern’s Champions League victory over Roma last week.
The 22-year-old underwent surgery on Friday and the club are hopeful his recovery will proceed according to plan.
“FCB chief medical officer Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt said the operation was completed without complications,” read a statement on the club website.
“Alaba will be discharged form hospital on Saturday and will wear a protective plaster cast on the knee for the next 14 days.”