The Italian had previously stated his intention to take a year out after back surgery this summer but is now considering a dramatic U-turn
Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that he will decide on June 3 whether to take charge of AC Milan again, with club CEO Adriano Galliani admitting that the chances of the coach returning to San Siro are now “50-50”.
Ancelotti was sacked as Real Madrid coach on Monday and claimed that he would take a year out of the game to recover from a back operation he will undergo in Canada this summer.
However, Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi immediately sent right-hand man Galliani to the Spanish capital to persuade Ancelotti to re-join the Rossoneri, where he won two Champions Leagues with during an eight-year stint at the Giuseppe Meazza between 2001 and 2009.
Ancelotti was still expected to go ahead with his plan for a 12-month sabbatical but the 55-year-old has now admitted that he is in two minds over what to do next.
“I’ve always got on well with Galliani,” he told Milan Channel. “We’ll decide on June 3.
“Will I take a year off? We’ll see.”
As for Galliani, he is also cautiously optimistic about Milan’s chances of bringing Ancelotti back to Italy.
“Carlo is thinking of taking a break for a year but I hope to convince him to accept Milan’s offer. The final response will arrive on Wednesday,” he said.
“He’ll think about it for a few more days but he told me that there’s a 50-50 chance.
“I’ll call him on Wednesday. We’re agreed on everything but we’ll see what he says on Wednesday when I call him.”
Ancelotti won the Copa del Rey and the Champions League in 2013-14 – his first in charge of Madrid – but he was fired after Los Blancos finished second to Barcelona in La Liga and knocked out of Europe by Juventus.