Peter Siemsen claims the Giallorossi’s offer has been accepted and that the Catalans have declined to take up their option on the player
Fluminense starlet Gerson is set to join Roma after Barcelona declined to complete their own deal, according to the Brazilian club’s president.
The 18-year-old midfielder has been the subject of a transfer tug-of-war this summer, with the Giallorossi eager to strike a deal for his signature despite Barca holding first refusal with the Brasileirao side.
However, club president Peter Siemsen claims the European champions have declined to take up their option on the player, meaning he is now clear to move to the Italian capital after an offer understood to total €17 million was accepted.
“We have received a formal offer from Roma, which is very good, and we have decided it was right to accept it,” he told Globoesporte.
“Gerson and his father have given the all clear. We have told Barca, who have not taken the option they had on him.”
However, new Barca first-team technical secretary Robert Fernandez claimed earlier on Thursday that Gerson could still end up playing at Camp Nou.
“Gerson is a young player with a lot of qualities and we could make a bid at any time,” he told reporters at his own unveiling. “That’s the most important thing, that we have the possibility of signing him.”
The Brazil Under-20 international only made his senior debut for Fluminense in February of this year.