Garcia: Roma will attack Juventus from the first whistle

The French coach was disappointed his troops only started playing after they were 1-0 down at Verona and wants a flying start against the champions

Roma boss Rudi Garcia says his side will attack Juventus right from the first whistle in Sunday’s Serie A showdown at the Stadio Olimpico.

The Giallorossi made an underwhelming start to their league campaign, with the capital club having to come from behind to claim a 1-1 draw at Verona last Saturday, but the Bianconeri fared even worse on the opening weekend, suffering a shock 1-0 loss at home to Udinese.

Garcia dismissed suggestions that Juventus have been weakened by the loss of key players such as Arturo Vidal, Andrea Pirlo and Carlos Tevez over the summer, but is nonetheless telling his troops to immediately take the game to their visitors.

“All the clubs – and not just Juventus – have an entire season to prove their doubters wrong,” the French coach told reporters on Saturday.

“I’ve already said what I think about them: They remain a top-level side and tomorrow will be a top-level match. We’ll have to be at our best to win it.

“They’ve signed [Mario] Mandzukic, [Simone] Zaza, [Paulo] Dybala, Khedira and Alex Sandro.

“The team that won the last four league titles is always going to be top quality.

“No one is at their best at the start of the season but we’ve tried to work our way up towards 100 per cent over the last week.

“It will be a great game, the sort you always like to be involved in even though it’s a bit strange to be playing it in the second week.

“We have to make home advantage count for us in front of our fans and I want to see more intensity than we showed at Verona.

“We have to start the game as if we were trailing by a goal and play to win from the off.

“We did that in Verona after the goal but not enough before it. We weren’t terrible before but our tempo wasn’t high enough.”

Star summer signings Edin Dzeko and Mohamed Salah failed to sparkle against Verona but Garcia says that the pair merely need time to settle.

Consequently, the former Lille boss admitted that he is unlikely to throw Lucas Digne straight into the starting line-up, with the left-back only having arrived from Paris Saint-Germain during the week.

“The new guys like Salah and Dzeko, it’s normal they should take a little while to settle in before we can fully exploit their fantastic quality,” he added.

“I’ve got the line-up 90% set in my mind. I’m waiting to see if [Vasilis] Torosidis is fully fit when the guys limber up tomorrow morning. If he is, as I expect him to be, he’ll start at left-back. That way we can give Digne a bit of time to adjust to his new team.

“As for the other positions, I took [midfielder Daniele] De Rossi off in Verona because I didn’t know if he had 90 minutes in him after his ankle problem but he’s fine now.

“Maicon isn’t 100% yet but he’s recovered from injury…”