The Turkish midfielder, who is banned from playing for Bayer Leverkusen until next season, cast doubt on recent words attributed to him
Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Hakan Calhanoglu insists he did not claim that he wanted to sign for Chelsea this summer, contrary to reports.
The 22-year-old was quoted by Turkish media outlet Fanatik on Saturday as saying he “hopes to be a Chelsea player next season” but that “there are also a number of other clubs interested in signing me”.
VIDEO: Violent brawl in French derby
However, Calhanoglu has denied ever saying he’d be keen to join the Stamford Bridge club when the transfer window re-opens in July or discussing other matters with the press in the past few days.
“I said nothing about Chelsea in the press & didn’t talk to any Turkish journalist,” he tweeted, “neither about the court decision nor about my future!”
I said nothing about Chelsea in the press & didn’t talk to any Turkish journalist – neither about the court decision nor about my future!
— Hakan Çalhanoğlu (@hakanc10) February 6, 2017
Last week Calhanoglu was banned for four months from playing for Leverkusen after the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld FIFA’s decision punishment for breaching a past contract.
RUMOURS: Real Madrid plot Spurs raid
Calhanoglu agreed a move to Trabzonspor in 2011 but ended up extending his contract at German team Karlsruher instead, and the aggrieved Turkish club successfully won their case for €100,000 in compensation.
The attacking midfielder left Karlsruher in 2013 for Hamburg, where he starred for a season before joining Leverkusen for an estimated €14.5 million.
He has made 22 appearances and scored seven goals for the Bundesliga club this campaign, but will watch from the sidelines for the remainder of 2016-17 due to his FIFA-instigated suspension.