Clement Lenglet is yet to make a decision regarding his future despite appearing on the verge of completing a move to Barcelona, his agent has said.
Defender Lenglet has gained many admirers since joining Sevilla from Nancy in January 2017, quickly securing a first-team role under Jorge Sampaoli and remaining a key figure last season, playing 35 times – more than any of his team-mates – in La Liga.
Reports of Barca’s interest were prominent for much of the campaign, especially in the wake of the 23-year-old’s stellar performance against Manchester United in the Champions League, and there have even been claims the Catalan club already have an agreement with the centre-back.
Goal revealed earlier in June that the Spanish champions were close to concluding a deal for Lenglet, however, but that nothing had been decided as yet.
Sevilla head coach Pablo Machin and director of football Joaquin Caparros had even offered to make Frenchman the highest paid player on the team to fend off interest from Barca, but again no agreement could be reached between the parties.
His exit from the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan has long since appeared almost certain, but agent Gregory Dakad told ABC: “I know you’re talking about a lot of things, but Lenglet has not yet made a decision.
“He is listening, analysing… although I insist that it cannot be said that he will not be at Sevilla next season.”
Speaking on Thursday, Caparros said the club had received no contact from Barcelona.
“Nothing has come to us,” he commented.
“Every time there has been interest from Barcelona in a player of ours, which has been many times in recent years, there has been a call from president to president, and a call regarding Lenglet has not occurred.”
Behind the scenes, however, Goal understands that the Rojiblancos are looking for a replacement for Lenglet, with Florian Lejeune of Newcastle and Gianmarco Ferrari of Sampdoria on their shortlist.