Nigeria striker Junior Ajayi signs Al Ahly extension

Junior Ajayi has signed a new three-year contract with Al Ahly.

In the summer of 2016, the Nigeria striker joined the Egyptian giants for a reported fee of $2million from Tunisian side CS Sfaxien.

Ajayi helped the Red Devils to two consecutive Egyptian Premier League titles in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 campaigns.

Article continues below

This season, the former Nigeria youth international missed the first five months of the season due to a knee ligament injury against Township Rollers on July 28 and returned in a Caf Champions League game against JS Saoura.

He has since played eight games across all competitions, finding the back of the net thrice.

Al Ahly, placed third in the Egyptian top-flight log, play El Daklyeh in a league game on Wednesday and Ajayi will be expected to play a crucial role.

Let’

Bonucci reveals he turned down Read Madrid to rejoin Juventus

Leonardo Bonucci has revealed that he turned down Real Madrid to rejoin Serie A side Juventus from AC Milan last summer.

Following seven seasons at Juventus from 2010 to 2017, Bonucci made the switch to AC Milan for the 2017-18 season.

Despite making 51 appearances and signing an initial five-year deal at San Siro, Bonucci made the switch back to Turin to play alongside Cristiano Ronaldo for the current 2018-19 campaign.

He has slotted straight back into the club’s starting line-up under Massimiliano Allegri, with the defender playing an essential role in the side’s current undefeated record in the league.

But returning to Juve was not his only option, with the 31-year-old admitting he turned down the chance to join La Liga giants Real Madrid in the summer and the chance to play at the Santiago Bernabeu.

“Real Madrid’s interest? Yes, it’s true, Real Madrid were interested in me,” Bonucci told AS

“It was an honour and pleasure for me, it means that I have worked well in these years. 

“But the call from Juventus and the desire to return home was fundamental, I decided that the Bianconeri colours fit me better.”

The defender also revealed it was not just for footballing reasons that he opted for a return to his former club after just one season playing for Milan.

Bonucci stated his six-year-old son played a pivotal role in his switch back to Juve, with his family still based in Turin.

“How did my son Lorenzo react? He’s happy because dad came home,” he added. “Last year I was almost always in Milan and he could not see me. It was one of the reasons why I came back.”

Article continues below

The Italy international has made 26 appearances this season and looks on course to win his seventh Serie A title as Juventus currently hold a 13-point lead at the top of the table.

The prospect of the club’s first Champions League trophy since 1996 remains a possibility, with the club hopeful that Ronaldo can fire them to European glory.

Juventus’ next fixture is against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday night before a Serie A clash against Bologna on February 24.

Let’

Kanoute tips Lyon’s prized assets Mendy, Ndombele, Aouar & Fekir to make moves in the near future

With the likes of Barcelona and Manchester City circling, Frederic Kanoute has told Goal that Lyon risk losing Ferland Mendy, Tanguy Ndombele, Houssem Aouar and Nabil Fekir.

Such interest is nothing new for the Ligue 1 outfit, with their famed academy system having produced a number of home-grown talents that have been developed in France before making big-money moves elsewhere.

Further deals are expected, with it becoming increasingly difficult to ignore the admiring glances being shot in the direction of prized assets.

Among those to be generating intense transfer talk is France international full-back Ferland Mendy, with former Lyon striker Kanoute telling Goal, courtesy of Enterprise Rent-A-Car, that rumours of bids being readied at Camp Nou should come as no surprise.

He said: “I have seen some games of Lyon, I haven’t seen all the games, but he is a player that has got definitely got something. He is really good, very dynamic and I like him a lot. It’s possible [that he could go].

“Generally speaking, I know that Lyon trains its youth very well and that’s why you always have fantastic players coming up. Whether it is him or other players they have right now, it’s the good business of Lyon that makes it happen. They focus on youth development and that works for them.”

Kanoute added on all-action midfielder Ndombele, who has been linked with Premier League champions City: “Ndombele in the last few games I have seen, I was very impressed. His quality, it is amazing to see a player with his energy, with such strength.

“He has pretty much everything and is still young as well. I’m sure that he already has a lot of clubs interested in buying him. We will see what happens.”

Houssem Aouar Lyon monaco ligue 1 16122018

And on Aouar, with Arsenal and Liverpool among those said to be keen on the 20-year-old playmaker, Kanoute said: “He’s a very classy player. I could see him doing well in La Liga. He is a typical La Liga player, but any club in the world would be interested in such a talent.”

One of those who appeared to be heading for the exits at Lyon in the summer of 2018 is Nabil Fekir, with the World Cup winner seeing a proposed switch to Liverpool break down and talks with Chelsea come to nothing.

Fitness concerns scuppered his plans at that stage, but the 25-year-old is enjoying another productive domestic campaign and is expected to attract further bids in the next window.

Kanoute said of a man with 11 goals and five assists across Ligue 1 and Champions League competition this season: “He got injured a couple of years back and it was very difficult for him to come back to his level and now he is there. I think that next summer will be difficult for him, the club is going to receive lots of offers for sure.

“He’s the leader of that team, lots of quality. He got injured not that long ago so he couldn’t leave the club, it wasn’t the time for him, but now he is very much ready to leave if the club agrees to a good deal for them.”

While high-profile transfer dealings may form part of Lyon’s future, their focus is locked on the present for now.

Frederic Kanoute Enterprise Europa League

Next up for them is the first leg of a Champions League last-16 showdown with La Liga giants Barcelona.

Kanoute admits Bruno Genesio’s side face a tough task against the Catalan heavyweights, but the former Mali international believes anything is possible in knockout football.

Quizzed on what Lyon need to do in order to claim a notable scalp, he said: “What do you need to do well against Barcelona? It’s a very difficult question. I don’t have the answer otherwise I think a lot of clubs would hire me as their coach and pay me millions!

Article continues below

“It’s a difficult one. They are a club that has a real history and philosophy and [Lionel] Messi! All of that together makes it very difficult. I wish them all the best.

“This competition allows anything to happen. If they were playing in the same league, Lyon wouldn’t get a chance to win the league but in this competition, one game at home, anything can happen. We have seen in the past that anything is possible, even though it is going to be very difficult.”

Frédéric Kanouté is working with UEFA Europa League partner Enterprise Rent-A-Car on their Legendary Journeys campaign. To discover more and to enjoy special rates on car hire across Europe, visit www.enterprise.co.uk/UEL  

Let’

Paris Saint-Germain target Idrissa Gueye key to Everton – Marco Silva

Everton manager Marco Silva has revealed the reason behind their objection to Idrissa Gueye’s move to Paris Saint Germain.

The French champions showed interest to sign the 29-year-old in January but the Goodison Park outfit rejected two offers from them.

The energetic midfielder has continued to impress since joining the side in the summer of 2016 and he is currently ranked as the best tackler in the Premier League with 96 tackles.

The Portuguese tactician has lifted the lid on the botched move, saying the former Aston Villa man brings more quality to his squad.

“He is really aggressive, he is fast in both transitions [attack and defence] and it is important for us,” Silva was quoted as saying by Echo.

“With him there, we can have the other players free to support the attack.

“He has been really important for us since the beginning of the season. And he was last season also. He is playing well and he is doing a good job.”

Article continues below

Gueye has made 21 league appearances for the Toffees this season, helping them to keep five clean sheets.

Everton, ninth in the log with 33 points from 27 games take on Cardiff City in their next Premier League tie on February 26.

Let’

Zambia’s Racheal Kundananji joins Kazakhstan queens BIIK Kazygurt from Indeni Roses

Racheal Kundananji has joined Kazakhstan champions BIIK Kazygurt on a two-year-long loan deal from Indeni Roses.

The forward was hugely impressive for Indeni Roses in 2018 as she scored 21 goals in 18 games to help them to Zambia’s Copperbelt Women League success.

The 18-year-old also starred for the Shepolopolo at the 2018 Africa Women’s Cup of Nations in Ghana as she scored three goals in three games.

On Monday, the Zambian star, who confirmed her move to Kazygurt, expressed her eagerness to excel after agreeing on personal terms with the Shymkent based outfit.

“I am very happy to secure my first professional contract abroad,” Kundananji told Goal.

“It’s a dream come true for me. All I need to do is to settle down well and work hard to help the team.

“The club management and my colleagues have been really nice and wonderful to me. They welcomed me very well.

“I want to win the UEFA Champions League with the team. It will be tough, but I think that it’s possible. I look forward to giving my best anytime.”

Article continues below

Kazygurt have failed to progress past the Round of 16 in the Uefa Women’s Champions League in 11 attempts and will hope the forward’s signing improves their chances.

Having sealed her move, the forward becomes second Zambian to secure a professional contract abroad after Barbara Banda in October 2018.

Following her arrival in Kazakhstan, Kundananji is expected to travel with the rest of the team for a training tour in Turkey in coming days.

Let’