Former Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure says he is ready for a new challenge after leaving Olympiakos, sparking rumours of a Premier League return.
The Ivorian has departed the Greek Super League outfit just three months and five appearances after rejoining them.
And in a statement to Olympiakos fans on Facebook, Toure said: “I came back for you. I had a vision and wanted to win trophies for you.
“Sadly, it has not worked out but I move on with love in my heart for you all. You have always encouraged me and stood by me.
“But now it is time for a new challenge. My love for football still burns strong.”
Olympiakos confirmed on Tuesday Toure’s his contract had been terminated by mutual agreement.
The 35-year-old, who was released by City after playing a limited role last season, was in his second spell with the club after playing for them in 2005-06 and winning a domestic double.
After his departure from City, he had opted to return to Greece after the opportunity to link up with former Blues team-mate Pablo Zabaleta and manager Manuel Pellegrini at West Ham failed to materialise.
Toure has a home in London and reportedly believes he can still operate at Premier League level, despite his famed powers waning during his final season at the Etihad.
Sky Sports reports he has turned down offers from the Chinese Super League and MLS in the hope of securing a last hurrah in the English top flight.
Toure joined City in 2010, winning three Premier League titles, two League Cups and the FA Cup. He scored 59 goals in 230 games for the Blues.
Before that he won two La Liga titles and the Champions League at Barcelona.