Dzeko: Nobody wanted me to move to Chelsea but AC Milan were a dream

Edin Dzeko claims “nobody” wanted him to join Chelsea during the January transfer window, with those at Roma having convinced him to snub a return to the Premier League.

Having previously tasted title glory in England with Manchester City, the Bosnia international was presented with an opportunity to retrace his steps over the winter.

Chelsea were eager to bring in another powerful frontman to bolster their ranks, but eventually had to turn to Olivier Giroud after seeing admiring glances shot in the direction of the Italian capital knocked back.

Dzeko has regularly stated that he has no regrets at having opted against entering into talks, with the 32-year-old maintaining that stance on the back of another productive season in Serie A which delivered 16 goals.

He told Face TV: “Chelsea is a big challenge and I know what kind of a club that is, I’ve been at Man City and I wasn’t ready to move to Chelsea.

[embedded content]

“Nobody I spoke to wanted me to move to Chelsea so I decided to stay.

“It has been tough period, a lot of stories and information, true and false, were written, everything went through my head, I wasn’t clear or certain of anything at the time.”

Having seen off one transfer window, the imminent opening of another has seen Dzeko’s future at Roma called into question once more.

He has made no decision on where he will be playing in 2018-19 as yet, although he remains under contract until 2020.

Dzeko added: “Now I will play two games for Bosnia and then we’ll see [where will I play].

“I have another two years of contract, so Roma has to be asked about it too.”

Edin Dzeko Roma

Dzeko is likely to stay put once more, but he has revealed that he once dreamt of turning out for one of Roma’s fiercest Serie A rivals

Article continues below

He said: “While I was playing for Zeljeznicar, AC Milan was my big wish.

“After I won the German title with Wolfsburg in 2009, I was very close to Milan, but Wolfsburg would not let me go.

“But my career went very well and I am currently very happy in Rome.”

Let’

‘Rooney would be a great player for MLS’ – D.C. United remain hopeful on deal for Man Utd legend

Wayne Rooney would be a “great player” for MLS, says Ben Olsen, as D.C. United close on a deal to bring the Manchester United and England legend to America from Everton.

Goal revealed in early May that the 32-year-old had opened talks regarding a possible switch to the United States.

At that time, Rooney was said to be frustrated with life at Goodison Park under Sam Allardyce.

Allardyce has since been relieved of his managerial duties with the Toffees, but Rooney is still holding transfer discussions and D.C. United boss Olsen remains optimistic regarding his chances of landing a high-profile signing.

He told reporters after a 1-1 draw with LAFA in Los Angeles on Saturday: “There is interest in Wayne Rooney from our end and I think there is interest from his end too.

[embedded content]

“I hope it can get over the line because he’s a very good player who can help us. He would be a great player for this league.”

It has been suggested that personal terms have already been thrashed out with Rooney, with all parties now waiting on the green light from talks between Everton and D.C. United.

Olsen insists no agreement is done as yet, but the ex-England captain and his representatives have been in America of late and a switch does appear to be close.

Olsen, who spent 11 years with D.C. United as a player – with that spell only broken up by a short loan stint at Nottingham Forest – added: “Nothing is done, so I don’t want to get into talk of arrival until he actually arrives.

Article continues below

“Nothing is ever done in this world and when you’re looking at a deal of this scope and size. We’ll see, but hopefully we can get it done.”

Rooney only returned to boyhood club Everton in the summer of 2017 following a record-breaking 13-year spell at Manchester United.

He managed 11 goals in 40 appearances for the Toffees, but ended the season with a niggling knock and out of favour under Allardyce.

Let’

Transfer news & rumours LIVE: Pogba wants Juventus return


Pogba wants Juventus return


Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba will be on his way back to Juventus this summer if he gets his way, Tuttosport claim.

The France international has had to deal with a great deal of criticism at Old Trafford since his move two years ago and is longing for a move back to Italy.

Agent Mino Raiola is working hard to make the deal happen, although Pogba would need to take a pay cut.

Paris Saint-Germain are tracking him, meanwhile.


Ronaldo in further exit hint


Cristiano Ronaldo claims his Real Madrid future will not be determined by money or glory after hinting that he could make a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Portuguese sparked a transfer storm after helping the Blancos to Champions League glory and has done little since them to quash the exit talk.

Check out the full story on Goal!


Man Utd to make Hart move


Manchester United are planning a shock raid on arch-rivals Manchester City which will see Joe Hart become their new back-up goalkeeper, reports The Sun .

The England international, who has been overlooked for World Cup duty this summer, has spent the last two seasons on loan at Torino and West Ham.

Questions have been asked of his form during those spells, but Jose Mourinho fears losing Sergio Romero this summer and sees Hart as an ideal experienced option to provide cover for David de Gea.


Fekir: Liverpool deal not close


Nabil Fekir has told TF1 that he is “not close” to a move to Liverpool.

The Lyon attacker wants time to make his mind up over a summer move, with Arsenal and Chelsea reportedly interested in his services.

Get his full quotes here on Goal!


I bet Ronaldo will stay at Madrid – Casemiro


Although Cristiano Ronaldo suggested in the wake of the Champions League final on Saturday that he might leave Real Madrid, team-mate Casemiro does not think so.

Indeed, the Brazil international is even prepared to put his money where his mouth is.

The full story is here…


Balotelli to Parma?


Free agent Mario Balotelli could move to Parma this summer, according to Corriere della Sera.

The Italy international has stated that he wants to move back to Serie A after two years with Nice, although Napoli and Roma are thought to lead the race for his signature.

Parma, meanwhile, were only promoted back into the top flight this summer after financial difficulties.


Inter want Politano


In form Sassuolo attacker Matteo Politano is the subject of interest from numerous top Serie A sides, including Napoli, AC Milan and Inter, according to Gazzetta dello Sport .

He scored seven times in 10 Serie A matches at the end of the season and earned a call up to the Italy side.

Luciano Spalletti, Inter’s boss, is especially keen on the forward to reinforce his attack.


Mourinho sees Fred path clear


Jose Mourinho has seen the path cleared for Manchester United to sign Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred, with the Daily Star claiming that Manchester City have pulled out of the race.

The Red Devils are now ready to push through a £53 million ($71m) for the Brazilian, who has been a long-standing target for those at Old Trafford.


Ronaldo hints at Real exit


Cristiano Ronaldo has declared “it was very nice to be at Real Madrid” following his club’s third straight Champions League title, promising to explain more on the potential transfer bombshell in the coming days.

The Portuguese superstar has been linked with the likes of Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United in recent times, while a move to China has also been mooted.

Check out the full story on Goal!


Bale to discuss Madrid future


Gareth Bale hinted a summer move away from Real Madrid could be on the cards after stepping off the bench to make a record-breaking contribution to a historic Champions League victory over Liverpool.

The Wales international is reported to be registering on the transfer radar at Manchester United and Bayern Munich after enduring form and fitness issues in Spain over recent years.

Read the full story on Bale’s future here!


Martial discussing new deal


Manchester United have opened contract extension talks with Anthony Martial, according to The Sun .

The France international has been linked with a move elsewhere this summer, but the Red Devils are reluctant to let him leave and are hoping to prolong an agreement which already includes an option through to 2020.


Emery eyeing Dortmund defender


Arsenal are readying an approach for Borussia Dortmund centre-half Sokratis Papastathopoulos, claims the Daily Mail .

Unai Emery is eager to bolster the defensive options he inherited from Arsene Wenger and considers the Greece international to be an ideal addition at around £15 million ($20m).


Arsenal turn attention to Rico


Sevilla goalkeeper Sergio Rico is now Arsenal’s favoured option to succeed Petr Cech, reports Spanish outlet Fichajes .

The Gunners were reported to be keen on Bayer Leverkusen star Bernd Leno, but they are now prepared to look elsewhere for a new long-term No.1.


Messi wants Pjanic purchase


Lionel Messi has called on Barcelona to land Juventus midfielder Miralem Pjanic, according to Don Balon .

With the Catalan giants having lost long-serving captain Andres Iniesta, a proven winner with the Serie A champions is considered to be an ideal alternative in that role.


Gunners open Praet talks


Arsenal have opened discussions regarding a possible deal for Sampdoria star Dennis Praet, reports Gianluca Di Marzio .

Article continues below

The Belgian midfielder is a top target for Unai Emery and initial talks have been held with the 24-year-old’s agent.


Everton enter Rose chase


Everton look to have edged ahead of Manchester United in the race for Tottenham full-back Danny Rose, claims The Sun .

The Red Devils have long been linked with the England international, but that interest appears to have cooled and the Toffees are ready to steal in.

Let’

Ronaldo in further Madrid exit hint: Life is not all about glory & money isn’t the problem!

Cristiano Ronaldo claims his Real Madrid future will not be determined by money or glory after hinting that he could make a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu.

While the five-time Ballon d’Or winner was kept relatively quiet during Madrid’s Champions League final victory over Liverpool on Saturday, the Portuguese ensured that he dominated the post-match headlines.

He told beIN Sports shortly after a Gareth Bale-inspired 3-1 win for the Blancos that “it was very nice to be at Real Madrid”.

Ronaldo later admitted that he should not have sparked exit talk so soon after collecting the fifth European crown of his career, but did go on to tell reporters in the mixed zone that he cannot “guarantee anything” when it comes to the summer transfer window.

Amid talk of a possible return to Manchester United or a lucrative switch to China, the 33-year-old forward said, as quoted by Marca: “Money is not the problem.

[embedded content]

“I have won five Champions Leagues and five Ballons d’Or. I had already made history, but now even more.

“I’m not upset because I know what I give to the club. I don’t want to erase this unique moment, with my colleagues who are champions.

“I cannot guarantee anything. I’m not going to hide, in the next few days I’ll talk… Life is not just about glory.”

Madrid president Florentino Perez was among those quick to rule out any move for Ronaldo in the wake of his exit hint in Kiev.

It has been suggested that the Bernabeu supremo is responsible for Ronaldo considering his options, although the Portuguese has denied that is the case.

Ronaldo added on his relationship with Perez: “I have no problem [with him].

“I speak and I greet him, like the good professional that I am. A storm is being created where there isn’t one.”

Ronaldo claims to have no regrets at having aired his future thoughts in public, although he has reiterated that no further update will be provided until the fallout from an historic 13th European Cup win for Madrid has died down.

“It was not the right time, but I’ve been honest,” he said.

Article continues below

“I don’t talk much, but when I talk, I talk.

“Of course I have something to say, but it wasn’t the right time, although I don’t regret it, because it was honest.”

Ronaldo was unable to add to his 44-goal haul for the 2017-18 campaign against Liverpool, but the Champions League’s all-time leading goalscorer did claim another European Golden Boot after contributing 15 efforts to another successful bid for continental glory.

Let’

‘I’m not close to Liverpool’ – Fekir deals Reds a transfer blow

Nabil Fekir has said that he is “not close” to a move to Liverpool and intimated that he will take some time to decide upon his future.

The Lyon attacker had been closely linked with a move to the Anfield club this summer, though OL president Jean-Michel Aulas said on Friday that he still hoped the France international may yet remain with the Ligue 1 outfit.

While Fekir is still talking about the prospect of leaving Champions League-bound Lyon, he has said that any transfer to Liverpool is no formality and that there are still several clubs in the running for his signature.

“I’m not close to a move to the Reds,” he told TF1’s Telefoot programme. “There are discussions with several clubs, but I will take time to think.”

This was information supported by Aulas, who reiterated what he had said earlier in the week.

[embedded content]

“For the moment, we’re not talking with Nabil,” he said. “He’s been the architect of a great season. Nabil has not indicated that he wants to leave or if he wants to play one more year with Champions League football.”

Fekir enjoyed a stellar season with Lyon, scoring 18 goals and creating seven more in Ligue 1 as they finished third behind Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco.

There was disappointment in Europe, however, as Fekir missed the CSKA Moscow defeat that ultimately cost them a place in the quarter-finals of the Europa League, the final of which was played at Parc OL.

Article continues below

His words, meanwhile, will be a further blow for Liverpool, who are smarting from European defeat of their own, having suffered a 3-1 loss to Real Madrid in the final of the Champions League, in which star attacker Mohamed Salah went off injured with a shoulder injury that manager Jurgen Klopp described as “serious”.

Fekir has been touted to leave Lyon this summer but would likely command a price tag in the region of €70 million (£62m/$82m).

Arsenal and Chelsea have also been linked with a potential move for the 24-year-old, who will be a member of Didier Deschamps’ 23-man France squad in Russia for the World Cup this summer.

Let’