?Napoli’s on loan goalkeeper David Ospina has been discharged from hospital after collapsing during his side’s Serie A match against Udinese on Sunday.
The Colombian sustained a nasty blow to the head in a collision with Ignacio Pussetto early on during the Partenopei’s 4-2 victory at the Stadio San Paolo. However, after receiving treatment for the injury and carrying on, Ospina collapsed to the ground shortly before half time and was subsequently rushed to hospital.
??As reported by the ?BBC, the ?Arsenal loanee is now back home with his family after being released from the hospital, as confirmed by the player’s wife Jesy Sterling.
“David is much better,” she said via ?Instagram.
?Napoli took the lead in their ?Serie A clash, going two goals up thanks to strikes from Amin Younes and Jose Callejon, however, after Udinese pulled two goals back before half time, Ospina was unable to continue and replaced by Alex Meret.
Carlo Ancelotti’s side restored their two goal lead in the second half after a goal apiece from forward duo Arkadiusz Milik and ?Dries Mertens kept Gli Azzurri in the driving seat for a second place finish in the league
Despite recovering from the knock, ?Napoli confirmed on Monday afternoon, via the club’s ?official website, that the 30-year-old would not be joining up with Colombia during the international break.
The statement read: “David Ospina was discharged this afternoon from the Pineta Grande Clinic where he had been hospitalised last night for a series of investigations and specialist visits. All tests are negative. The player has been advised to have a few days off and will not respond to the call-up of his national team.”
Chelsea defender César Azpilicueta? and Antonio Rüdiger have given a scathing analysis of their 2-0 loss to Everton last Sunday, amid fresh speculation that Blues boss Maurizio Sarri could leave the club in the near future.
The 60-year-old took the reins at Stamford Bridge last summer, and attempted to overhaul the club’s playing style with his own ‘Sarriball’ philosophy.
However, his existing crop of players appear to have struggled with the transition, and after a string of shoddy results, the club are now in a dogfight to try and bag Champions League qualification for next season.
Speaking in the wake of their ?defeat to the Toffees (via the Mirror), Azpilicueta, who has captained ?Chelsea for much of the season, said: “I don’t see just the Europa League as the only way of being in the Champions League because Chelsea’s place is not to be sixth in the Premier League so I cannot accept this.”
Rüdiger presented a similarly bleak picture, and said: “It’s unacceptable the way we came out, and we lost the game in 10 minutes. We played a good first half, and we could have scored one or two, but we didn’t. The way we approached the second half is not acceptable. We were passive, and if you are passive against any opponent in this league, it’s dangerous.”
The duo’s comments comes at a time when Sarri’s Chelsea future is once again being considered by the club. The west Londoners have now lost seven matches this season, as the side’s haphazard defending and troubles in-front of goal have continued to blight their campaign.
With Chelsea unable to purchase new players for the next two transfer windows, the ex-Napoli boss might be well be relieved of his duties at the end of the season, allowing a new coach to take the club forward with a fresh approach – utilising their existing first team players and the wealth of talented youngsters in their academy.
?Juventus’ sporting director Fabio Paratici is set to meet with Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt’s agent Mino Raiola on Sunday in an effort to secure the signing of the highly rated 19-year-old.
The Netherlands are taking on Germany in a Euro 2020 qualifier in Amsterdam, a match which Paratici will attend, before then meeting with Raiola, in a bid to tie the centre half’s future to the Turin club.
These reports come from Italian outlet Tuttosport (via ?Mundo Deportivo), as the race to secure the highly sought-after Dutchman heats up with a whole host of European giants vying for the Ajax star’s signature.
Rumours of ?Juventus’ interest were ramped up on Saturday after their manager Massimiliano Allegri spoke highly of the central defender after his side’s 2-0 loss to Genoa.
“Everyone talks about him as one of the best defenders in the world, it will surely be curious to see him live,” he said.
Having found himself in the Ajax first team fold since the start of the 2016/17 season, De Ligt’s prominence at the top level has been rising continuously after setting the Eredivisie alight with some outstanding performances rarely seen by a player of his age.
Such has been the Dutchman’s meteoric rise that he received his first call up to the national team in March last year, going on to turn out 13 times for Ronald Koeman’s side.
With Juventus now looking to take the lead in the race for De Ligt’s future, it may well not be the end of the story, as the saga has repeatedly taken twists and turns already this term. ?Manchester City and ?Barcelona are just two of the outfits who have already registered an interest in the youngster, with the Bianconeri not likely to be the last.
Wanda Nara, the wife and agent of Mauro Icardi, has insisted that the Argentinean striker is close to reaching an amicable settlement with Inter amid his ongoing exile from the club.
Icardi has been absent for Inter’s previous nine matches in all competitions after the club removed him from the captaincy – inevitably sparking rumours surrounding a potential exit in the summer transfer window.
However, Nara has now played down any speculation surrounding a potential transfer away from ?Inter, telling Tiki Taka (via ?Football Italia): “Will we meet on Friday? With me no, but the club may very well meet him without me.
“If he meets the Coach then I come in… No, I don’t know. I talked to [director Giuseppe] Marotta, there’s no problem.
“We’re close to finding peace, we’re almost there. Mauro is recovering from a knee injury and hasn’t had a day off until [Sunday] because he wants to get back to his best.
“I talked to Marotta and there are no problems between [?Icardi] and his teammates. He’ll be back once he’s fit.”
Inter sporting director Giuseppe Marotta has also had his say on the current situation, suggesting that Inter are looking to find a solution to the issue as quickly as possible.
“I hope the situation can mend itself,” the general manager told reporters, as per ?Football Italia.
“We’re a family and parents must make decisions for the sake of their children, but they’re not punishments. They’re made so the kids can grow and get better.
“That’s how our decision should be interpreted. I hope we can mend this rift as quickly as possible because Icardi is a good lad who has given a lot to Inter and can still give us so much.”
?Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has accused his Manchester United side of reverting back to ‘Mourinhoball’ in their 2-1 FA Cup defeat to Wolves on Saturday night.
The Norwegian was reasonably scathing in his analysis of the performance in his post-match press conference, but ?The Sun report that his reaction in private was more explosive – aping Sir Alex Ferguson’s infamous ‘hairdryer treatment’.
Rather than the slick counter-attacking style his side have won games with in recent weeks, ?United played a ponderous game, allowing ?Wolves to dominate the game’s best chances and advance to a Wembley semi-final against ?Watford at the start of April.
It was that slow style which irritated Solskjaer more than the result, calling out the players for falling back into bad habits impressed upon them by Mourinho in his two and a half years at Old Trafford.
United now have one remaining chance of silverware this season, with a Champions League quarter-final against ?Barcelona approaching as they try to balance European competition with the top four berth that could earn Solskjaer a long-term stay at the club.
“This was the poorest we’ve played,” he admitted to ?BBC Sport after the match. “We started too slowly and played into their hands. Our possession wasn’t bright enough and quick enough, so it’s disappointing.”
He added: “We had decent dominance with the ball in the first half but that doesn’t help if you give the ball away and they can counter. This was a big step backwards, mainly because of the quality of the possession and the passing. We’ve had a great run and now we’ve had two defeats. Against Arsenal we just couldn’t score, and this was poor.”