Sunderland seal late loan moves for Borini and Dossena

The Liverpool forward and Napoli full-back have joined on year-long deals to link up with fellow Italian Paolo Di Canio at the Stadium of Light

Sunderland have completed the signing of Italy internationals Fabio Borini and Andrea Dossena on year-long loan deals from Liverpool and Serie A outfit Napoli respectively.

The duo become Paolo Di Canio’s 13th and 14th signings of the summer in what has proven to be a radical overhaul of the playing squad at the Stadium of Light.

Borini has struggled to nail down a starting spot at Anfield and – following the January signings of Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge, along with Iago Aspas’ arrival – the 22-year-old’s first-team chances this season looked limited.

Napoli purchased the 31-year-old Dossena from Liverpool in 2010 but the wing-back has struggled at the Stadio San Paolo and spent part of last season on loan at Palermo.

Di Canio swooped for his fellow countrymen after Dossena’s reported move to Torino broke down, and being made aware of Borini’s availability. The duo have joined the Black Cats’ increasing Italian contingent after the club also sealed moves for Vito Mannone and Emmanuele Giaccherini earlier in the transfer window.

QPR loan Assou-Ekotto and Tom Carroll from Tottenham

The defender, who joined Spurs from Lens in 2006, joins the highly rated young midfielder in reuniting with former boss Harry Redknapp in the Championship on deadline day

Tottenham left-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto and midfielder Tom Carroll have both moved on loan QPR.

The Cameroon international has fallen out of favour under Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas and had yet to feature for the north Londoners this season.

Danny Rose, who returned from a successful loan spell at Sunderland last season, is now first-choice at White Hart Lane, while Jan Vertonghen and Kyle Naughton were often preferred to Assou-Ekotto last term.

But the 29-year-old joins the highly rated midfielder in dropingp down a division, with former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp having lured them to Loftus Road on a season-long loan.

“Let’s go QPR!” said Assou-Ekotto on his Twitter page. “I’ll keep one eye on u spurs hv a good luck this season #COYS [sic]”.

Assou-Ekotto, who enjoyed cult status at White Hart Lane, made 155 Premier League appearances for Tottenham, scoring four times and proving eight assists.

“I am delighted to come here and really excited,” Carroll told QPR’s official website. “Harry was a big factor for me because of how he likes the game to be played.

“I’ve seen what Kyle Walker and Andros Townsend got from their loans at QPR and I hope I can enjoy similar success.”

BREAKING NEWS: Lukaku confirms Everton loan move

Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku has confirmed he has joined Everton on a season-long loan move.

“Signed @Everton on a season loan,” the Belgium international tweeted on his official Twitter account.

More to follow…

Hill Sign up with for a free bet up to £25
Bet365 Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200
PaddyPower Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets

Coral Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet – no strings attached!
BetVictor Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!
Betway Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!

Ozil left stunned by Arsenal move

The €50 million attacker has admitted that his transfer to the Premier League club came as a massive surprise

Mesut Ozil has admitted he was stunned at the dramatic turn of events which culminated in his deadline day switch to Arsenal.

The Germany international joined the Gunners from Real Madrid in the closing moments of the transfer window for a fee of €50 million following an unsettling few days in his spell in Spain suddenly turned into one of the summer’s biggest moves.

Ozil reacted angrily to being substituted by Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti in the Liga win over Granada last Monday, storming straight into the changing room and heading straight for the team bus. He was then left out of the XI which beat Athletic Bilbao 3-1 on Sunday, prompting speculation over his future.

And after his club record move to the Emirates Stadium on Monday, the 24-year-old spoke of his surprise at the sudden shift in his fortunes.

In a statement on his personal Facebook page, Ozil said: “Things developed differently than I would have expected them to a few days ago.

“Thank you very much for three wonderful years with all of you. My time at Real Madrid was unique and special for me.

“Although I’m leaving Real Madrid, I wish you and the team the very best for the future. Now I’m looking forward to my new club: THE GUNNERS!”

Ozil had stated publicly last week that he loved Real Madrid and was happy to stay at the club but he now begins his career as an Arsenal player, beginning with the trip to Sunderland on September 14.

Manchester United's Herrera move collapses

The Premier League champions were unwilling to meet the Athletic star’s £31 million release clause during late negotiations on transfer deadline day

By Paul Clennam

Manchester United’s deadline day move to sign Ander Herrera from Athletic failed after the Premier League champions failed to meet the midfielder’s release clause.

Goal understands that United attempted to offer below the £31m clause in the 24-year-old’s contract on Monday, but saw their approach rebuffed by the Basque outfit.

Sources close to the Premier League champions have revealed that United were confident of securing a deal for the Spain U21 international with only hours of the transfer window remaining.

However, United officials were unwilling to meet the crucial clause in Herrera’s  contract during late negotiations with Athletic, despite the midfielder having privately made clear his desire to move to Old Trafford.

More to follow…