Willian: Chelsea move always on the cards

The Brazilian says other clubs were interested in signing him during the summer transfer window but that he was always likely to end up at Stamford Bridge

Willian has revealed that his “dream” move to Chelsea had been on the cards for months before he eventually signed for the English outfit.

The Brazil international had been linked with a move to Liverpool and Tottenham during the transfer window, only for Chelsea to apparently sneak in under the radar to secure the attacking midfielder’s signature.

However, Willian has explained that a move to Stamford Bridge was always the most likely outcome once Anzhi Makhachkala decided to cut costs.

“They [Chelsea] made an offer two months ago but I was not allowed to leave,” the playmaker told Brazilian television station Sportv.

“I kept following the club and I used to go to London to follow Chelsea whenever I had free time and now my dream has come true.

“Other clubs were interested, but my intention and dream of playing for Chelsea made the difference.”

Willian made just 15 appearances for Anzhi before agreeing his move to Chelsea on August 25.

'Neymar could have been Madrid's Messi'

A former club official of los Blancos says the 21-year-old should be lining up against the Argentine in future Clasico’s rather than playing alongside him

Neymar could have been the Lionel Messi of Real Madrid, according to the club’s former sporting director Alberto Giraldez.

The Brazil star, who completed a €57 million move to Barcelona from Santos in May, had a trial in the Spanish capital as a 14-year-old in 2006.

However, Carlos Martinez de Albornoz, the club’s general manager at the time, reportedly had reservations about paying the €60,000 requested by Neymar’s agent Wagner Ribeiro to secure the services of the future star, which Giraldez labelled a “historic mistake”.

“Neymar was willing to stay at Real Madrid. We even registered him in the city,” he told Cadena Ser. “We saw that he was different.

“It was a historic mistake by Real. He could have been our Messi.”

The 21-year-old netted his first competitive goal for the Blaugrana in the 1-1 draw with Atletico Madrid in the first-leg of the Spanish Super Cup a fortnight ago.

Navas: Casillas would be a great addition for Manchester City

The goalkeeper has been linked with a move away from Real Madrid after falling down the pecking order and his international team-mate would love to see him at the Etihad Stadium

Jesus Navas would love to see Iker Casillas in a Manchester City shirt, despite the club already boasting “great goalkeepers”.

The Spain No.1’s future at Real Madrid is unclear after Carlo Ancelotti started the season with Diego Lopez as first choice in goal, prompting speculation of a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu in January.

The Etihad Stadium has been mentioned as one possible destination, with Joe Hart’s early-season form under scrutiny, and Navas believes that his international team-mate would be a perfect fit for Manuel Pellegrini’s side.

“You always want the good players in your team, they are important,” he told Movistar.

“We all know what a great keeper he is and the importance he has inside the team. At City there are great goalkeepers but Iker would be a great addition.”

The 27-year-old left La Liga in a big-money move to the Premier League this summer and is loving life in England so far.

“I’m very content, very happy since the first moment,” Navas enthused. “It was an opportunity that I had and that I’ve wanted for some time. I really like the football that is played and the speed of how it is done. To enjoy football is something unique.

“City are a team that have to aspire to [win] everything. We are strong, we have confidence and we must continue calmly. Although we had a defeat [against Cardiff City], we started the league well. Another target, the Champions League, has not started but we must try to go far.”

BREAKING NEWS: Nani pens five-year Manchester United contract

Manchester United have announced that Portuguese winger Nani has signed a new five-year contract with the club.

Goal exclusively revealed in July that the 26-year-old would extend his stay at Old Trafford following talks with new manager David Moyes.

The wideman has been at United since 2007 after signing from Sporting Lisbon and had one year remaining on his deal.

Moyes told the club’s official website: “I’m really pleased. He has great ability and experience.”

More to follow…

'Don't blame Mourinho for my Madrid form' – Kaka

The 31-year-old has refuted suggestions that the Portuguese is culpable for his disappointing displays throughout his four-year stay with los Blancos

Kaka has denied claims that former coach Jose Mourinho is to blame for his lack of success at Real Madrid after he left the club on transfer deadline day.

The former Ballon d’Or winner struggled to justify his €65 million price tag throughout an indifferent four-year spell with the Spanish giants and left los Blancos on a free transfer to sign a two-year deal with old club AC Milan on Monday.

But the former Brazil ace has denied suggestions that Mourinho’s coaching was a contributing factor in his loss of form at the Santiago Bernabeu.

“It wasn’t Jose Mourinho’s fault that I left Real Madrid. It wasn’t because of him – he actually made me stronger,” the 31-year-old reporters at a told a press conference.

“I looked to give my best for him in these years, making sure I was always at his disposal. Unfortunately I wasn’t always fit and that didn’t help.

“It was a good personal experience for me in Madrid, less so professionally. But it was a spell which helped me to grow, I matured a lot.

“I don’t regret the years in the Real shirt, but, seeing how things went, I did lose a little desire to play. The decision to leave was taken after speaking with Carlo Ancelotti.

“I didn’t play with continuity, partly because of the injuries, partly because of the competition for places.

The Brazilian went on to claim he was relishing the prospect of linking up with striker Mario Balotelli for the Rossoneri.

 “Mario Balotelli and I can work well together. Mario is doing some great things here, as he has for all the teams he has played for,” he added.

“But there is not just Mario, we have Alessandro Matri, Robinho, Giampaolo Pazzini, Stephan El Shaarawy. They are all great players.

“I need to find some consistency again, but I’m physically ready to play.”