Herrera has not asked to join Manchester United, says Athletic coach Valverde

The midfielder has been included in the club’s squad to face Real Madrid at the Bernabeu on Sunday, despite interest from the Red Devils, and is “fit and ready to play”

Bet

= Real Madrid CFRMA Draw Athletic BilbaoATH BetVictor

Bet

= Real Madrid CFRMA Draw Athletic BilbaoATH Hill

Bet

= Real Madrid CFRMA Draw Athletic BilbaoATH PaddyPower

Bet

= Real Madrid CFRMA Draw Athletic BilbaoATH Bet365

Bet

= Real Madrid CFRMA Draw Athletic BilbaoATH Coral

Bet

= Real Madrid CFRMA Draw Athletic BilbaoATH Betway

Athletic Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde says midfielder Ander Herrera has not told him he wants to play for Manchester United.

The Premier League champions have had a €30 million bid for the Spaniard rejected by the Liga side as they attempt to strengthen their squad before the close of the transfer window.

However, despite the interest from David Moyes’s men, Herrera has been included in Athletic’s 19-man squad to face Real Madrid at the Bernabeu on Sunday.

“There has been a stir with Ander Herrera’s case. He hasn’t told me that he wants to sign for Manchester United,” Valverde told reporters.

“He is fit and ready to play. Whether he plays or not is another issue. It’s the coach’s decision”.

Manchester United also look to have been disappointed in their attempts to sign Daniele De Rossi from Roma.

The Red Devils have registered their interest in the Italy international but coach Rudi Garcia has confirmed he will not be sold and that he will remain at the club for the entire season.

Hill Sign up with for a free bet up to £25
Bet365 Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200
PaddyPower Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets

Coral Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet – no strings attached!
BetVictor Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!
Betway Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!

Garcia: Too late for Manchester United to buy De Rossi

The Giallorossi boss claims that both player and club agreed not to sell past a certain date and that the midfielder will remain for the season, despite the Red Devils’ overtures

Roma coach Rudi Garcia says that the Serie A side will resist Manchester United’s interest in Daniele De Rossi.The Red Devils have made overtures to the Giallorossi about the midfielder, who is understood to be available at a price of €11.7 million, but the Frenchman claims that a previously-agreed window to sell him has closed.

“De Rossi is a Roma legend and wants to play for Roma,” Garcia told the press.

“We said that, after a certain point in the summer, he’d no longer be for sale.

“He is a man of his word. That date has passed and he will be with us for the entire season.”

De Rossi’s current contract runs until the summer of 2017 – he is currently one of the Italian top flight’s highest earners, with a net salary of €6m a year.

Roma have already sold Erik Lamela and Pablo Osvaldo to Premier League clubs Tottenham and Southampton this summer for fees worth up to €35m and €20m, respectively.

Celtic sign Pukki from Schalke

The 23-year-old Finland international puts pen to paper on a four-year contract, becoming Neil Lennon’s sixth signing this summer for the reigning Scottish champions

Celtic have completed the signing of Teemu Pukki from Schalke.

The 23-year-old forward, who scored three goals in 17 Bundesliga appearances last season, has signed a four-year deal with the Scottish champions for a fee around €3.5 million.

The Finland international is Celtic’s second completed transfer within the space of 24 hours following the arrival of Israel midfielder Nir Biton from Ashdod on Friday.

Despite featuring in the Champions League play-offs for Schalke, Pukki is eligible to play for Celtic in the group stages.

Pukki started his career at FC KooTeePee before moving to Sevilla in 2008. The forward returned to Finland in 2010 with HJK Helsinki and was signed by Schalke just over a year later.

Liverpool agree €17m deal for Sakho

Paris Saint-Germain accept the Premier League side’s offer, with the Reds also closing in on Sporting Lisbon defender Tiago Ilori as they look to bolster their defensive options

By Wayne Veysey

Liverpool have reached an agreement with Paris Saint-Germain to sign centre-back Mamadou Sakho.

The Reds will pay the Ligue 1 champions a €17 million fee for the 23-year-old defender as Brendan Rodgers looks to improve his defensive options for the 2013-14 campaign.

Sakho has played over 150 league games for PSG, with the Frenchman having been capped 14 times by his country, and he will compete with Daniel Agger and Kolo Toure for a place in Rodgers’s starting XI.

Liverpool are also close to agreeing a deal for Sporting Lisbon youngster Tiago Ilori, with the Reds having tabled a €7m offer plus performance related bonuses to sign the 20-year-old.

Rodgers has felt the need to dip into the market for defensive reinforcements with the future of Martin Skrtel remaining up in the air, with Napoli strongly linked with a move for the Slovakia international.

The Anfield manager’s options have been further limited with Sebastian Coates sidelined with a long-term knee injury, while Andre Wisdom’s patchy pre-season performances have done little to convince Rodgers that he is ready for a regular first-team berth.

There is better news regarding Kolo Toure’s fitness, however, with Rodgers revealing on Friday that the Ivorian could recover from a groin problem in time to face Manchester United on Sunday.

Tottenham renew Coentrao

The north London club are ready to continue their impressive £100 million-plus transfer spree as they prepare for Gareth Bale’s imminent £86m departure to Real Madrid

By Greg Stobart

Tottenham intend to continue their summer spending splurge and hope to complete a deal for €17.5m-rated Real Madrid left-back Fabio Coentrao before the transfer window closes on Monday.

The north London club are also exploring further attacking options, although they have cooled their interest in Zenit forward Hulk as a result the club’s fee demands.

Spurs announced the arrival of three new signings on Friday as Christian Eriksen joined from Ajax for £11.5m to join £26m winger Erik Lamela from Roma and Vlad Chiriches, the Romanian centre-back who cost £8.5m from Steaua Bucharest.

They join fellow summer signings Roberto Soldado, Paulinho, Nacer Chadli and Etienne Capoue in a summer revolution at White Hart Lane that has seen the club spend around £100m on new players.

Andre Villas-Boas, the Tottenham manager, is determined to emerge from the transfer window with a squad ready to finish in the top four despite the imminent departure of star man Gareth Bale to Real Madrid for a world-record £86m fee.

Many of the discussions between the two clubs over Bale this summer have focussed on the inclusion of players as makeweights in the transfer but both teams have now settled on a straight cash deal.

Spurs, however, have not dropped their interest in Coentrao, with the Portugal international hoping to leave the Santiago Bernabeu before the window closes.

The 25-year-old has not featured in either of Madrid’s league matches so far this season and is keen to link up with compatriot Villas-Boas at White Hart Lane.

Tottenham can offer Coentrao a regular starting spot in a World Cup year but have so far been unable to agree either a transfer fee or personal terms to land the former Benfica man.

The Londoners hope they can push through a deal in the final days of the transfer window, while they are also looking at attacking options including Real Betis winger Alvaro Vadillo.

Spurs’ business in the remainder of the transfer window is likely to be dependent on outgoings, with a number of players set to leave north London.

Villas-Boas hopes to sell both Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Emmanuel Adebayor before Monday night’s deadline while the club will listen to offers for England striker Jermain Defoe if they can sign a replacement.

Players are also expected on loan, including highly rated midfielder Tom Carroll, who is a target for newly promoted Crystal Palace.