Di Maria would be a good signing for Paris Saint-Germain, says Fellaini

The Belgian insists his Manchester United team-mate, who has been linked with a summer move to the French champions, is a “world-class player”

Marouane Fellaini claims his Manchester United team-mate Angel Di Maria would be “a good signing” for Paris Saint-Germain.

Following his €75 million arrival from Real Madrid last August, the Argentina international struggled in his debut season at Old Trafford and has been linked with a move to the French champions this summer.

Fellaini believes Di Maria would be a big hit at Parc des Princes but insists the Argentine would be better served by turning down a summer move.

“Angel Di Maria would be a good signing for PSG,” Fellaini told Telefoot. “He is a world-class player.

“He was successful at Real Madrid so he could be successful anywhere. What would I do if I were him? Stay at Manchester United.”

Di Maria’s campaign at United was disrupted by a pelvic injury as well as an attempted break-in at his Cheshire home in January.

The 27-year-old, who was forced to relocate to a hotel after the failed burglary, scored just four goals in 32 appearances last term and was unable to force Ashley Young out of his place on United’s left flank.

When asked about Di Maria’s future at the start of May, Louis van Gaal insisted he wanted the winger to stay but hinted that United could be open to a deal for the Argentine.

“The manager and the club is always dependable on the opinion of the player himself. The player decides; we shall see what he decides,” said the Dutchman.

“He cannot say that he has had a marvellous season here. The decision is not only to him because now we have a contract so we shall speak always with every player, evaluation, as I always do. Then we speak with each other about the future and that is with every player.

“I am pleased with his attitude, so that is not a problem. I think Di Maria shall stay and he is working very hard.”

Yaya Toure staying at Manchester City after Mansour intervention – Seluk

The Ivorian’s outspoken agent had previously insisted his client was “90 per cent likely” to leave the Etihad Stadium but the club’s owner has blocked any exit


Yaya Toure will stay at Manchester City next season following an intervention from the club’s owner Sheikh Mansour, according to agent Dimitri Seluk.

The Ivorian appeared set to leave the Etihad Stadium after an inconsistent season in which Seluk claimed his client was being unfairly singled out for City’s struggles.

A reunion with former boss Roberto Mancini at Inter looked the likeliest option for Toure and Seluk previously insisted that his client was “90 per cent likely” to leave City, but he has now revealed that Mansour has put a stop to any exit plans.

“Yaya is staying – because Sheikh Mansour told him he must stay,” Seluk told The Sunday Mirror.

“Mansour told Yaya that he is still a very important player and that he was the first big player to join City after the takeover.

“He told him that City wouldn’t even discuss a sale.

“This is good. People have tried to say that Yaya only wanted more money, but it was never about money. It was only about respect.”

Real Madrid vice-president confirms Benitez deal

The club official said he is looking forward to which players arrive to work under “an exceptional coach”, saying the Spaniard will be one of the best in the world

Real Madrid vice-president Eduardo Fernandez de Blas has revealed the club’s intention to appoint Rafael Benitez as coach, hailing him as one of the world’s best.

Benitez is widely anticipated to succeed Carlo Ancelotti at the Santiago Bernabeu, after the Italian was sacked on Monday following a season in which the club missed out on the league and Champions League titles.

Fernandez de Blas is reported as telling a meeting of a Madrid members’ group: “Ancelotti is an absolute phenomenon – a gentleman whom I have great affection for, and I think everyone else at Real Madrid does too.

“Until three days ago he was the best trainer in the world, as two years ago it was Jose Mourinho, and from this week onwards it will be Rafa Benitez.

“I’m excited and looking forward to July 30 to see how the best players in the world work under an exceptional coach.”

The executive added that, despite his sacking, Ancelotti’s reputation has been boosted by his time in the Spanish capital.

“Carlo now has more to his name than when he came, but we’re here to make decisions, which we think are best for the club. We live and die by them.”

Former Valencia, Liverpool, Inter and Chelsea boss Benitez announced his impending exit from Serie A side Napoli on Thursday.

Sunday’s clash with Lazio will mark his final game as Napoli coach, with a place in next season’s Champions League on the line.

Cavani will never leave Paris Saint-Germain – Al-Khelaifi

The “best striker in the world” has been linked with a move away from the French capital this summer but the club’s president insists he is going nowhere

Edinson Cavani will not be allowed to leave Paris Saint-Germain in the upcoming transfer window, according to president Nasser Al-Khelaifi.

The Uruguay attacker has been frustrated by being pushed out onto the wing to accommodate for star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic since his arrival in the French capital in two years ago.

Cavani has been linked to a move away from PSG for some time, but the club’s chief executive says he is going nowhere, hailing him as the world’s best forward.

“I’ve always defended him. He will stay with us and never leave,” he told Telefoot. 

“He is fine at Paris and, for me, he’s the best striker in the world.”

The 28-year-old, who joined PSG from Napoli in 2013, scored 31 times in 52 appearances in all competitions to finish ahead of Ibrahimovic as the club’s top marksman.