Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has insisted there is “absolutely no chance” of central midfielder Oriol Romeu leaving the club in January.
The 21-year-old has featured just four times for the Blues this season, leading to suggestions that he might be set for an exit when the transfer window reopens.
But, despite admitting there had been some interest from other clubs, Di Matteo reiterated his desire to retain the Spaniard with John Obi Mikel set to partcipate in the Africa Cup of Nations in January.
“There is absolutely no chance of him leaving in January,” Di Matteo told Sky Sports. “He has been playing a bit more lately and he will be playing more in the future.
“Romeu is a very young talent with good prospects for the future. He has offers from other clubs and especially from Spain but I have had calls from Italy as well. But he will not leave.”
LA Galaxy midfielder David Beckham has dismissed suggestions that he is set to join an A-League team.
Football Federation Australia recently claimed that Beckham’s management approached them about a 10-game loan during the MLS off-season.
However, a spokesman for the former England captain has denied those reports on television, and Beckham himself has also claimed they are false.
“No. Definitely not true,” he told reporters at the Home Depot Center after a Galaxy training session on Friday.
“Bruce [Arena] told me that this morning – the first I’d heard about it. Like I said that’s the first I’d heard of that, this morning.”
Arena, who was present at the press conference, jokingly added: “We’ve booked his tickets already.”
LA Galaxy take on the Seattle Sounders in the second leg of the Western Conference final on Sunday.
Roma general manager Franco Baldini has retracted his recent comments in which he suggested the club were open to offers for Daniele De Rossi.
The 52-year-old was reported to have said the Giallorossi had weighed up a bid for the midfielder from Manchester City during the summer transfer window, and that further offers would also be considered.
“My words after Lazio-Roma were careless,” Baldini told Rai Sport.
“De Rossi is a Roma player and the club won’t let him go. Is he happy now? That is the question at the moment, but I can say there is a strong bond between this squad.”
The capital club currently lie seventh in the Serie A table on 17 points, 14 adrift of leaders Juventus.
Enoch Balotelli, the younger brother of Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli, has joined semi-professional outfit Salford City on a free transfer.
The 20-year-old signed for the mid-table Northern Premier League First Division side after failing to impress Stoke City, with whom he was on trial with last season.
Salford confirmed the move on Friday on the club’s official website, with the deal hinging on international clearance.
A statement read: “Salford City FC are pleased to announce the signing of Enoch Barwuah, younger brother of Manchester City star Mario Balotelli. The signing is subject to Enoch gaining international clearance, which should hopefully come through in the next couple of weeks.”
Salford chairman Darren Quick was understandably delighted with the deal to take Balotelli to Moor Lane.
He told BBC North West Sport: “He’s been training with us and he’s signed for us, subject to international clearance.
“It’s great for Salford. We hope he can play a few games for us and he can use it as a stepping stone to find a level more suited to him.”
And Quick is eager to view other impacts of the move, expecting it to generate more spectators through the gate, namely Mario Balotelli.
He continued: “I’ve not met him but I’m told he’s a really nice lad and a really good footballer.
“We play a decent standard of football but some lads don’t want to drop to that level.
“These things can work for both parties. We might get a few more through the gate, and maybe his brother might even come and watch us.”
Mario Balotelli is to remain at Manchester City despite increased speculation linking the striker with a move away, according to the player’s agent.
Both AC Milan and Inter have been credited with interest in the Italy international in the past, with the former’s owner Silvio Berlusconi recently admitting he “liked the player”.
Balotelli, who was left out of the 18-man squad which faced Tottenham last weekend, was recently assured by manager Roberto Mancini that his future at Etihad Stadium is secure and his representative Mino Raiola supports the assertions.
“He feels really good at City,” Raiola told Mediaset.
“There is no crisis between Mario and City or between Mario and Mancini. What the papers write is garbage. Not being happy at being in the stands is completely different to wanting to leave.”
And Raiola continued to state his belief that Balotelli would remain at the club for the foreseeable future, with a move to Italy unfeasible.
“We plan to stay at City for at least another year-and-a-half. Even if we did decide to leave tomorrow, I don’t think there are any clubs in Italy that could sign him,” he concluded.