The Paraguay international is in negotiations with the Spanish club over making his loan switch permanent when his contract expires with Manchester City this summer
Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz has revealed he is in talks with Malaga over making his loan switch permanent, although Botafogo remain interested in the forward.
The 31-year-old has been on loan with the Andalusians since the start of the season and has scored 10 goals in 40 games in all competitions for Manuel Pellegrini’s men.
However, financial difficulties at La Rosaleda could prove to be an issue with regards a permanent deal and Santa Cruz has confirmed he is pleased to hear of Botafogo’s interest.
“The interest [from Botafogo] does exist and I’m aware of it, my agents are analysing this possibility that has appeared and there are some talks,” he told Paraguayan outlet Radio La Nueva RGS.
“It’s a very big club; I’m flattered by their interest. It’s always important to be wanted by a club of such size.”
Santa Cruz cost Manchester City £17.5 million when he joined them in the summer of 2009 from Blackburn Rovers, but failed to establish himself after boss Mark Hughes was replaced by Roberto Mancini.
The striker has since enjoyed loan spells back at Ewood Park as well as in Spain with Real Betis and while his future remains uncertain he is confident a return to Manchester is not likely.
“I am also having conversations with Malaga, but I am not going to renew my contract with Manchester City,” he added. “I’ll be a free agent.”
The 48-year-old attributes his side’s failure to retain their Premier League title to an inability to sign their targets swiftly enough and wants an improvement this summer
Roberto Mancini has urged Manchester City to move “quickly” in the summer transfer market if they are to win back the Premier League title next season.
The Italian’s men were crowned champions last term but could only watch on as rivals Manchester United sealed the 2012-13 trophy with a 3-0 win over Aston Villa on Monday and the 48-year-old has blamed their failed title defence on a failure to secure their targets swiftly.
As exclusively revealed by Goal.com, City are pushing to sign Edinson Cavani from Napoli this summer but will turn to Paris Saint-Germain star Zlatan Ibrahimovic if they are unsuccessful.
“You should move very quickly. We didn’t do this last year,” Mancini told reporters.
“We moved so slowly. We lost the players that were our targets to improve our team.
“I think that when you build your team you need to start like in this case, in the end of this championship. We have time but not a lot of time. We should have our targets in mind.”
The Italian also admitted that United earned their league title this year by showing more “attitude” than his side but feels that City were unlucky in suffering “big problems” with injuries.
“United have more attitude than us, as a club, as a team,” Mancini added. “We had big problems with players injured.
“They did better than us, they won a lot of games in a row, it was really difficult.”
The Poland star insists he will not be drawn on press speculation linking him with summer moves to Bayern Munich and Manchester United
Robert Lewandowski has refused to comment on his future with Borussia Dortmund, dismissing rumours about a potential transfer as mere speculation.
The Poland striker has long been linked with a summer switch to Bayern Munich and Manchester United, with some reports suggesting a deal has already been brokered with the Bundesliga champions, but he insists he will not be drawn on gossip until the current campaign has drawn to a close.
“I will not comment on pure speculation,” the 24-year-old told Polish newspaper Fakt.
“The media write a lot about me, but that’s just their duty. It’s hard for me to say now what will happen when the season ends.
“I focus on the nearest game and then the second match with Real [Madrid]. We will see next what life brings.”
Lewandowski hit all four of his side’s goals as they thrashed Real Madrid in Wednesday’s Champions League semi-final first leg, and the former Lech Poznan forward believes Jose Mourinho’s side were left “clueless” by BVB’s high-intensity play.
“They were clueless when we pressed them in the second-half, at times they simply didn’t know what to do,” he said.
“They weren’t too chatty afterwards. They ran to the changing room pretty quickly, while we were celebrating as a team.”
The Dane says “it is great” to be linked with a club like BVB but insisted that he is only focusing on winning the Eredivisie with Ajax
Ajax star Christian Eriksen has admitted that he is pleased to be linked with Borussia Dortmund but insists he is focusing on winning the title with his current club.
With Mario Gotze set to leave the Westfalenstadion for Bayern Munich in the summer, the Bundesliga giants are said to be targeting the Dane to replace him.
And while Eriksen admits that he could move on from the Amsterdam ArenA this summer, having heard of interest from BVB.
“I’ve read that,” the 21-year-old told AD about reports linking him with the German club.
“It’s great that [the media] link me with such a good club. But right now I’m only focusing on one thing. I want to become a champion and after that we’ll see.
“If nothing happens, I’ll renew my contract. I owe Ajax so much. I don’t want to leave for free.”
Ajax are edging closer to winning the Eredivisie title where they sit top of the table, four points clear of PSV.
The creative midfielder has caught the attention of a number of big European clubs, but the Bundesliga outfit are determined to hold on to him
Schalke general manager Horst Heldt has stressed the club have no intention of selling Julian Draxler in the summer transfer window.
The Germany international has been linked with clubs such as Juventus, Inter, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid in the past few months, but the Gelsenkirchen side are determined to hold on to the 19-year-old.
“There is no exit clause and we have no intention of selling Julian at the end of this season. He is feeling very well at the club and is the face of Schalke,” Heldt was quoted as saying by Bild.
“What I would say if a €100 million offer came in tomorrow? You can’t blame Julian for having the desire to play at one of his dream clubs in Spain at some point. If Barcelona or Madrid were to offer €100m, we would look at things differently.
“Bayern? Where would he have to play at Bayern with all the players they already have …”
Draxler has a contract with Schalke until the summer of 2016.