Willian has agreed Anzhi move, says Lucescu

Shakhtar Donetsk coach Mircea Lucescu has confirmed that Willian has agreed a move to Anzhi Makhachkala.

Rumours circulated earlier on Thursday that the Dagestan outfit were interested in signing the Brazilian, who has recently attracted the attention of both Chelsea and Tottenham.

However, it seems that he has set his sights on a switch to the Russian Premier League after his release clause was triggered.


“This is personal decision, and we must respect it,” he told Sport Express.

“There is a club willing to pay the release clause in his contract, and Willian agreed to move. There is nothing I can do.

“To tell you frankly, I tried to convince him to stay because I think his decision is hasty and not thought out well enough. He is like a son to me.

“He came to Shakhtar almost as a child and leave us as a 24-year-old man. I told him he would have achieved more with us when we said goodbye.

“Why did he not listen to me? I guess he was under huge pressure from his agent and his relatives that wanted to get everything at once.”

Inter supremo Moratti revels in Schelotto, Kovacic & Kuzmanovic signings

Inter president Massimo Moratti has expressed his delight in the Serie A club’s completed business during the January transfer window.

The Italian side wrapped up deals for Ezequiel Schelotto, Mateo Kovacic and Zdravko Kuzmanovic, three players which the 67-year-old feels can help propel his side up the domestic table.

“I am extremely pleased with how we have done in the January market,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“Kovacic is something special,” he went on, singling out the attacking midfielder for praise. “He is definitely a good buy.

“I am very much looking forward to seeing how he performs on the pitch.”

And, when quizzed on how high fourth-placed Inter are aiming in Serie A this season, Moratti quashed claims that the Nerazzuri can only hope to battle for a Champions League spot.

“I am not aiming for third place. This team are aiming for the Scudetto.”

Inter next take on Siena in Serie A on February 3.

Napoli reveal unfruitful efforts to sign Mauro Icardi

Napoli sporting director Riccardo Bigon has revealed the Serie A club have been following Sampdoria youngster Mauro Icardi for months now, but have been unable to strike a deal with the forward.

The former Barcelona youth has been in scintillating form of late, most notably netting four goals against Pescara to lift his current side out of the relegation zone.

However, despite the Partenopei‘s best efforts to sign the striker, Bigon has admitted defeat in the January transfer window.

“We have been following Icardi for months,” the director told Sky Sport Italia. “He is a great player, but we have run out of time for negotiations.”

Turning his attention to new loan signing Rolando, who arrived on deadline day from Porto, Bigon was understandably more upbeat.

“He’s a player we really wanted. It was a complicated deal, but he is a player with great motivation.”

Napoli’s next clash sees the second-placed outfit take on Catania in Serie A.

Tottenham closing in on last-ditch £16m Damiao deal

Leandro Damião - SC Internacional

Alexandre Lops | SC Internacional

By Greg Stobart

Tottenham remain hopeful of forcing through a sensational last-ditch move for Internacional striker Leandro Damiao in a £16 million deal.

The Londoners are locked in talks with the Brazilian outfit, with a willingness being expressed on both sides for a deal to be done.

Personal terms with the player are not expected to be a problem.

With no time to get the striker to north London before the 23.00GMT deadline, Damiao would either have a medical in Brazil or sign the deal subject to a later medical.

The race-against-time nature of the pursuit means that any stumbling blocks at this stage would scupper any chance of a deal but Spurs are optimistic that they can finally secure their long-term target.

The two clubs have been in contact for fresh talks over the preceding 48 hours, with the White Hart Lane outfit having made several previous attempts to sign the Brazil international over two years of interest.

More to follow…

Odemwingie not given permission to speak with QPR, claim West Brom

West Brom have confirmed they have not reached an agreement with QPR over the transfer of Peter Odemwingie and insist the striker is not allowed to speak with Harry Redknapp’s side.

“Albion move to clarify developments regarding Peter Odemwingie after striker was filmed a short while ago arriving at Loftus Road,” West Brom confirmed on their official Twitter page.

Club have held further discussions with QPR today but those talks have so far proven fruitless and no agreement has been reached.

Albion would also like to make clear that Peter has not been given permission to speak to QPR about a potential move.