Centurion refuses to rule out Benfica move, says agent

Ricardo Centurión, Racing

A Ricardo Centurión lo siguen de cerca / FotoBaires

The agent of Racing Club midfielder Ricardo Centurion, Eduardo Rosetto, is not excluding a move to Benfica as an option for his client.

The 19-year-old has drawn the attention of numerous European giants, after making an impression at his current side in Argentina, but his representative believes that a transfer during the January window would be too early.

“I don’t think you can rule out a move to Benfica, though in Italy there is strong interest from Napoli and we have also spoken to Inter and Milan,” he told reporters.

“That said, I think it would be best for him to stay at Racing Club at least until June.

“He’s got the South American Under-20 tournament coming up in January and moving on in the same month would leave him at a disadvantage with the rest of the squad of whichever European club he moves to.

“The South American U20 tournament is a shop window not many players have and he is going to be there, playing for Argentina. He won’t have a normal pre-season like his senior team-mates at Racing Club.”

Redknapp refuses to rule out January move for Anelka

Drogba - Anelka - Batista

Sergio Batista dialoga con Didier Drogba y Nicolas Anelka

QPR manager Harry Redknapp has refused to rule out a move for Shanghai Shenhua striker Nicolas Anelka, describing the forward as a player who “would be of interest” to several clubs.

Redknapp is reported to be in the market for a new striker in January, with Andrew Johnson and Bobby Zamora both suffering from injury troubles, leaving the club with Djibril Cisse as their only recognised front man.

And while he remained coy on links with the French forward – who has previously played for Real Madrid, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool – the former Tottenham boss did not rule out a potential move for the 33-year-old.

“I don’t know what the situation is with him,” he told reporters. “If he is available he is a player who I think would be of interest to people.”

The 65-year-old also revealed that he is due to meet with chairman Tony Fernandes soon to discuss which direction the club will head in during the January transfer window.

Redknapp admitted that extensive funds may not be available to him, but did state his desire for new recruits – even if they were to come in the form of a loan deal.

“We will sit down and the owners will have a look at the situation,” Redknapp said.

“Maybe we won’t have to spend any money. Maybe we can pick up a couple of loans. It’s a case of knowing who is around, knowing who is available and who can do a job for you.”

Sterling stand-off & Manchester United interest highlights task facing Liverpool boss Rodgers

COMMENT
By Greg StobartWhen Brendan Rodgers accepted the job of Liverpool manager in the summer, he was under no illusions as to the size of the task before him to get the club back in the Champions League.

Around his office at the Reds’ Melwood training ground hang photos of Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley and the great title-winning sides of the past. That history both defines the club and defines the expectation for Rodgers’ reign on Merseyside.

The Northern Irishman has brought a fresh approach after replacing Kenny Dalglish on a three-year contract, looking to build a young squad focused on short, passing football in the same image of the side he managed at Swansea.

Yet Rodgers may need more time from Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, than even he realised to get the club back to the top. Sitting 11th in the Premier League after 15 games so far this season, this is clearly a transitional campaign as the 39-year-old looks to implement his blueprint.

The fact is, however, that Liverpool are currently mid-table fodder when, traditionally, they are regarded as one of the two biggest, most successful clubs in the country.

Goal.com revealed on Friday that Manchester United have made an enquiry for Raheem Sterling as the young winger continues to stall over signing a new contract at Anfield.

What does it say about Liverpool in 2012 that their greatest rivals could even consider pinching one of the best young talents in the country? At 17, Sterling has the world at his feet, but he is now asking himself whether his career will best be served at Liverpool.

With his pace, skill, trickery and intelligence, Sterling embodies FSG’s model of a youthful squad made up of the best young players from across the world, on reasonable wages to comply with Uefa’s financial fair play regulations.

Rodgers has tried to pressurise Sterling into signing a new deal by saying the player would be “very foolish” not to agree new terms having so far rejected the offers made by Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre.

But that tactic has backfired, and Rodgers now needs to find another way to convince Sterling to commit to the club.

Perhaps the January transfer window will provide that opportunity after a disastrous summer in which the American owners failed to back their manager in the transfer market.

The absolute priority will be to sign a striker, with the Reds having scored just 19 league goals this season, their major problem an inability to convert the numerous chance created.

After a summer spending binge in 2011, the funds available to Rodgers will be limited as Liverpool try to compete on and off the pitch with the likes of United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

It is not an impossible job, but Rodgers has plenty on his plate, especially as he will face a challenge to keep star striker Luis Suarez at Anfield if Liverpool miss out on the top four.

Good coaching, clever tactics and nurturing of youngsters look to be the three main pillars around which Rodgers will build Liverpool. Losing Sterling, however, would reflect just how far the club has fallen from greatness, and just how much Rodgers must do to turn it around.

Lille release Mickael Landreau

Lille have confirmed on their official website that first-choice goalkeeper Mickael Laundreau’s contract with the club has been terminated by mutual consent.

A number of reports on Thursday suggested that the 33-year-old was on his way out of the club, and LOSC have now confirmed Landreau’s departure.

“LOSC and Mickael Landreau have decided by mutual consent to end their collaboration. The club and the goalkeeper have today [Friday] signed an agreement to end his contract with immediate effect,” an official statement reads.

No details have been disclosed for the experienced goalkeeper’s exit by either of the two parties involved.

Landreau started his professional career at Nantes and also wore the jersey of Paris Saint-Germain before joining Lille in the summer of 2009.

He has since made over 100 official appearances for the Dogues, winning a Coupe de France and Ligue 1 title in the process.

Verratti: I am not thinking about Juventus

Marco Verratti has insisted that he is focused on Paris Saint-Germain amid rumours that Juventus are keen to lure him back to his native country.

The Serie A champions were already keen to sign the Italy international in the summer transfer window, but Verratti eventually opted to join PSG instead.

Juve remain interested in the 20-year-old, however, but Verratti says he is not interested in a transfer any time soon.

“It’s nice to hear that Juventus are keeping tabs on me, because they are a great team. However, I am only thinking about Paris Saint-Germain now,” the midfielder told Tuttosport.

Verratti has made 18 official appearances for the Ligue 1 giants so far, but has yet to score. He is under contract with PSG until June 2017.