BREAKING NEWS: Bolton sack manager Owen Coyle

Owen Coyle has been sacked as manager of Bolton Wanderers after nearly three-years in charge at the Reebok Stadium following talks with owner Eddie Davies and chairman Phil Gartside.

Gartside lured Coyle away from local rivals Burnley in January 2010 to replace Gary Megson but has moved to dispense with the 46-year-old after a poor start to the season in the Championship.

The Trotters have won only three of thier 10 games in England’s second tier since being relegated from the Premier League in May and a shocked Coyle has paid the price.

“I have always been driven to act in the best interests of the club and care passionately about it,” he said.

“I had fantastic times as a player here and it has been a privilege to have held the post of manager.

“I want to thank the fans for their backing since I returned, chairman Phil Gartside and owner Eddie Davies for their support and friendship, the club’s staff and players for all their effort and commitment. 

“I wish everyone connected with Bolton Wanderers all the very best.”

Attentions will now focus on finding a suitable replacement and Gartside, who paid tribute to Coyle after his dismissal,  is reportedly seeking a manager in a similar mould to the former Scotland striker.

“Owen poured his heart and soul into the job on and off the pitch,” Gartside said “he led our club with great dignity during some very challenging times. 

“It is the right time for a change. We set a target at the beginning of the season and want to get back on track.

“I would like to place on record our sincere thanks to Owen, Sandy Stewart and Steve Davies for all their hard work for Bolton Wanderers.”

Youth team coaches Jimmy Phillips and Sammy Lee, sacked as Bolton manager five-years ago, will step in to take charge of the first team as the club starts an immediate search for Coyle’s successor.

Rivaldo: Neymar must leave Brazil for Europe

Former Barcelona star Rivaldo has urged Brazil international Neymar to leave his native country for Europe in the not too distant future, to gain valuable experience ahead of the 2014 World Cup.

The Santos attacker has been linked with clubs such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester United and Juventus in the past few months, but a transfer seems to be far away at this point as Neymar is ready to stay at his current club for now.

“We all need some changes every now and then. Neymar must leave Brazil and his familiar surroundings. He should come to Europe in order to gain experience,” Rivaldo was quoted as saying by Terra.

“We were already talking about the same matter in relation to players like Ganso and Lucas a year ago. They will be there for the World Cup and need to move as well.

“You need experience at the World Cup and the best way to gain experience is to play against the best, which is the case in Europe.

“These players have to make the move to Europe as soon as possible.”

Ganso recently left Santos for Sao Paulo, while Lucas will make the move from Sao Paulo to Paris Saint-Germain in the January transfer window.

Neymar, however, has so far stressed that he intends to stay at Santos until after the 2014 World Cup.

Malaga sporting director admits that Isco could leave in January

Malaga sporting director Mario Husillos has put a host of Premier League clubs on red alert by admitting that they would be powerless to prevent Isco from leaving in January should his €21 million buyout clause be activated.

The 20-year-old has begun the season in impressive form and has been a huge factor in Malaga’s flawless start to their maiden Champions League campaign.

The Spaniard, who represented his country at the London 2012 Olympics over the summer, was recently watched by Tottenham technical co-ordinator Tim Sherwood, while Roberto Mancini was present at Malaga’s game on Sunday against Atletico Madrid.

And, despite Los Boquerones‘ encouraging start to La Liga, Husillos admits the midfielder could yet be sold as soon as January.

“He is our player and is important for the team. He is not on the market,” he told tuttomercatoweb.com.

“We want to keep him here but you all know there is a buyout clause in his contract. So, if a club pays the clause, it does not depend on us anymore.”

Despite Husillos’ realistic outlook, Isco’s mind remains firmly on Malaga and ensuring their bright start to the new campaign continues.

“Malaga is on everyone’s mouth now because because of great displays in the Champions League,” he told reporters.

“Besides, I have had two good performances and that’s why my name has been heard more than anyone. I just have my mind on Malaga.”

Vidal: I would gladly remain at Juventus for the rest of my career

Arturo Vidal has made it clear that he has no intention to leave Juventus any time soon and would be happy to remain with the Italian champions until the end of his career.

The Chile international was being linked with a move to Real Madrid earlier this year, while Manchester City are keen to sign the midfielder, too, as exclusively revealed by Goal.com last week.

Nevertheless, the 25-year-old is only thinking about Juventus for now as he is more that happy with life in Turin.

“I’ve not thought about trying my luck in England or Spain. I repeat that I’m very happy here and if I had to spend the rest of my career here I’d do so gladly,” he was quoted as saying on the official Fifa website.

Vidal then looked back at his move from Bayer Leverkusen to Juventus in 2011, and stressed that the Bianconeri’s success hasn’t surprised him.

“When I agreed the move I did so thinking we could turn things around and fight for the championship, and that’s how it turned out.

“It didn’t take us long to realise that we were capable of lasting the distance, though I do admit I was surprised we finished unbeaten. The Italian league is very difficult.”

The Chile star also took the time to discuss Juventus’ chances at silverware this term, and insisted they want to do well in both Serie A and Champions League.

“I think that the players we’ve brought in this summer make us stronger than we were last season, so we’re capable of defending the title and having a good Champions League campaign.

“Let me correct myself, at a club like Juventus you have to aim to win every competition.”

Juve currently sit joint first in Serie A with 19 points from seven matches.

Wenger hopeful over Walcott contract situation after West Ham victory

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger remains hopeful regarding his chances of agreeing a new contract with Theo Walcott after the England international scored the winning goal against West Ham United on Saturday.

The 23-year-old’s deal is set to expire at the end of the season and his failure to agree new terms has led to speculation that he could be sold by Wenger before then.

In the aftermath of the late victory over the Hammers, however, the French coach spoke of his “big respect” for Walcott’s character and attitude.

When asked whether he believes the forward wishes to stay at the Emirates Stadium, Wenger told reporters: “I think so. But I cannot tell you what he tells me.

“We are always in touch. He has character. He keeps focused and he wants to show he is 100 per cent professional and I have a big respect for that attitude.”

Walcott has made no secret of his desire to play as a central striker, having largely been deployed on the right wing since moving to Arsenal from Southampton in 2006.

Wenger did not doubt his ability to operate through the middle, but argued that he had the qualities to contribute goals in any forward position.

“Theo’s game is based on movement off the ball, timing and finishing,” he explained. “He can play wide, he can play centre.

“Basically it is not so important. He has improved a lot in his finishing. Even if he plays wide or centre he gets in positions where he can score.”