Juventus have announced the signing of defender Federico Peluso from Atalanta on a six-month loan deal.
The 28-year-old arrived in Turin on Wednesday for a successful medical after he agreed personal terms with the Bianconeri in advance.
Peluso, who has three Italy caps to his name, joined Atalanta from AlbinoLeffe in 2009 and went on to appear 116 times in all competitions for the club, scoring four times.
Reports in Italy suggest that the Bergamese outfit have already identified Genoa’s Cesare Bovo and Cagliari’s Michele Canini as potential replacements for the Juve new boy.
Everton defender Phil Jagielka has signed a contract extension at the club which will see him remain at Goodison Park until 2017.
The 30-year-old’s current deal was set to expire in the 2014-15 season, so the Toffees moved quickly to retain his services for another four years due to his outstanding form this season.
Chief Executive Robert Elstone told the club’s official website: “We are delighted Phil has agreed to commit his long term future here at Goodison Park.
“Phil is a hugely important and influential player and I, like many Evertonians, look forward to seeing him play in a Blue shirt for many years to come.
“Discussions have been taking place for a short while and, now they are completed, I would like to thank Phil and his representatives for the professionalism and courtesy shown throughout those negotiations.”
Jagielka joined the club in 2007 from Sheffield United in a £4 million deal and has established himself as a key player in David Moyes’ side.
In his five years at the club he’s made 195 appearances and was named as Everton’s player and players’ player of the year in 2009 where he fired the Toffees into the FA Cup final scoring the winning penalty in the semi-final victory over Manchester United.
However, the centre-back was to cruelly miss the final as ruptured his cruciate ligament a week before the game. His excellent form for Everton has seen earn 16 England caps so far scoring one goal against Italy in August 2012.
Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes has stated that he would be happy to stay with his current club for the remainder off his career.
The Spain international is currently under contract until June 2014 at Camp Nou, and although he is currently is no rush to sign an extension, he would fancy retiring with the Liga giants.
“Since I signed the last contract I have not spoken about it. I signed the last one in June 2009 and have not been concerned since,” the 30-year-old told reporters.
“It is not the time for me to be worrying about it, there is still time. I’m focused on winning games. My dream is to retire here… Time will tell.”
Despite his apparent desire to stay with Barca until he hangs up his boots, Valdes refused to rule out the possibility of experiencing the game in a different country.
“I have spent 11 years here and as goalkeeper it is difficult in many ways. I do not rule out other cultures, other football, other countries, we will see.”
Barcelona went into the winter break with a comfortable nine-point advantage over Atletico Madrid in the Liga table, but Valdes thinks that it is not the time to talk about the title just yet.
“We have not even finished the first half of the season. It is true that we have a good distance over second and third, but it is not over. There is a long time to still play and a lot of points to play for.”
Stoke City defender Ryan Shawcross has signed a new five-and-half year contract to remain at the Britannia Stadium until 2018.
The 25-year-old had been linked with a move to his former club Manchester United and rivals City, however he has now committed his long-term future to the Potters.
Manager Tony Pulis expressed his delight his captain has penned a new deal at the club.
He told reporters: “It looks like Ryan Shawcross has agreed a new contract, so that’s great news for this football Club. I’m delighted that Ryan sees his future here. It’s fantastic news for us.”
Shawcross has made 190 appearances for Stoke since joining the club on a permanent basis in 2008 from the Red Devils, after initially spending the 2007/8 campaign on loan at Pulis’ side.
This season, the centre-back has been the foundation of the Stoke defence which has conceded just 20 goals and this form earned him his first international appearance for England against Sweden in November.
Tommaso Rocchi has admitted that it will feel strange not to play for Lazio any more, but is looking forward to the opportunity to play for Inter.
The experienced forward has found playing time at the Stadio Olimpico difficult to come by this season due to the form of Miroslav Klose, and is set to move to San Siro, where he is hoping to feature regularly and notch his 100th Serie A strike.
“It’s strange to leave Lazio after such long time,” the 35-year-old told Sky Sport. “But now I’m glad to be in one of the most important teams in Europe.
“I wasn’t even the vice-Klose at Lazio. Seeing as I have not played a lot at all this season, I needed a change of scenery.
“The first target is the 100 goals in Serie A. I want to start strongly now, I want to give my contribution to the team and repay the faith that Inter is giving me. [Andrea] Stramaccioni talked to me about what he wants from me.”
Rocchi went on to say that he was aiming for a top-two finish in Serie A this season, but accepted that the Nerazzurri face stiff competition.
“I hope that Inter can reach second place in the table. I think Lazio will fight to the end. The championship is not over yet, Inter are still in the race.
Finally, Rocchi stated that he would be open to a return to Lazio in a non-playing role once his days on the pitch have come to an end.
“Future as an executive at Lazio? This is going to be a thing we will discuss in the future, I still want to play for a few years. However, in a few years I want to talk about this subject with Lazio.”