It is now claimed that another club made an even larger bid for the 19-year-old and were willing to let him stay at Monaco for another season
Monaco vice president Vadim Vasilyev claims another club outbid Manchester United for Anthony Martial.
The 19-year-old completed his move to Old Trafford on deadline deal for an initial fee of £36 million, although that figure could rise to £58m after add-ons.
Martial has made an impressive start to life in England with four goals in six games and the Monaco chief admits United’s offer was too good to turn down.
“There was another club that offered even more than United. I will not say how much, but the fixed price, without variables, it was even better,” Vasilyev told Marca.
“And also they offered us to have him for a further year in Monaco. But the boy wanted to go to Manchester, it was his dream.
“And we let him go with the bonus of €30 million. Had it not been for so much money, he’d have stayed.”
The loan recruits from Manchester City and Chelsea have now completed full transfers, while Iago Falque also made his deal permanent
Roma have confirmed that deals for Edin Dzeko and Mohamed Salah have been made permanent.
A financial statement published on Thursday confirmed loanees Dzeko and Salah will remain in the Italian capital beyond the 2015-16 Serie A season.
Dzeko and Salah joined Roma on season-long loans from Premier League duo Manchester City and Chelsea respectively, with the Bosnian netting the winner against reigning champions Juventus earlier in the season.
“These players were first signed on a temporary basis, which has been transformed into definitive transfers after planned contractual conditions were met,” read a Roma statement, which also revealed a permanent deal for Genoa winger Iago Falque.
Dzeko, who is sidelined with a twisted knee, has scored once since arriving in Rome, while team-mate Salah has bagged three goals, leaving the captial club sixth in the table, four points off Serie A leaders Fiorentina.
The franchise are hoping for better fortunes after a disappointing debut season in MLS, and Real Madrid’s record-breaking scorer would fit the bill perfectly for their owner
Orlando City have set their sights on the biggest of transfer coups, as the MLS new boys’ majority owner admitted that he would love to bring Cristiano Ronaldo to Florida.
The US side have already landed Brazilian maestro Kaka as they seek to establish themselves in the league, and Robinho and Javier Hernandez were also linked with moves.
But Flavio Augusto Da Silva revealed that the Ballon d’Or holder is at the top of his wishlist.
“Truthfully, we like Cristiano Ronaldo a lot. We’d sign him without thinking about it,” da Silva said in an interview with Marca.
“Physically, he’s more complete than [Leo] Messi, and he’d make more of an impact on a marketing level in MLS than the Argentine.”
Orlando did not enjoy the best of fortunes in their debut MLS season, finishing 16th overall and missing out on the play-offs in the Eastern Conference.
The owner, however, maintained hope that Ronaldo could help them to a better campaign.
“Hopefully, we can sign him for this upcoming season. We’ve always heard that he’d like to come to the United States to play,” he affirmed.
The star’s lawyers suffered a setback against investors, with a judge seeing “strong evidence” that the fee which took him to Camp Nou was higher than publically stated
Brazilian investment fund Teisa has won the right to access documentation on Neymar’s 2013 transfer from Santos to Barcelona, after a judge ruled that the group may have been cheated by misleading figures.
The group held 5 percent of Neymar’s economic rights while at Santos, and could be entitled to a greater share of the fee if, as alleged, the transfer’s real value was in fact much higher than publically stated.
Neymar’s lawyers had previously appealed a similar ruling, which gives Teisa the possibility of seizing material related to the lucrative move, four months ago, postponing its implementation.
But Sao Paulo magistrate Gilson Ferreira, of the 2nd Civil Chamber, dismissed the appeal motion and confirmed the original sentence.
“Despite what appears in the contracts, there is strong evidence that the real value involved in the transfer has in fact been hidden by those directly participating in the deal, with the aim of harming Teisa,” Ferreira signalled in his ruling.
Teisa will now have access to seven documents included in the subpoena originally filed.
The news constitutes a new legal headache for Neymar, who is also dealing with accusations of tax evasion from Brazilian authorities dating back to his time at Santos.
The country’s Revenue Service has frozen 188 million Reais (€42.75m) in assets belonging to the player, and even confiscated a luxury car, as the investigation continues.
The Gelsenkirchen side’s general manager revealed that the Reds were ready to offer money for the 19-year-old but the teenager was not interested in making the move
Schalke director Horst Heldt has revealed that Liverpool tried to buy Leroy Sane in the summer, but the 19-year-old was not interested in a deal.
The highly rated winger has attracted a lot of attention after coming on to score for Schalke in his Champions League debut in last season’s 4-3 win over Real Madrid.
Sane featured 13 times in the league last term for the Gelsenkirchen side and Heldt says the club have been knocking back bids from big teams across Europe to keep him.
“There was one or more prestigious club that contacted us about Sane,” he told Bild. “Liverpool was ready to pay money for him.
“These offers didn’t at all interest us or the player. I am really not concerned about losing the player.
“Two years ago, Ajax made an offer as well.”
Sane has already scored three goals in seven Bundesliga appearances for Schalke this campaign.