Freddy Adu joins Finnish side Kuopion Palloseura

The American player was once seen as a wonderkid but has now joined his 11th team in as many years, joining the side who finished seventh in the league last year

Freddy Adu’s nomadic career has now taken him to Finland, after the player once dubbed ‘the next Pele’ signed for Veikkausliiga side Kuopion Palloseura.

Adu, 25, was touted as a wonderkid of the world game when he burst onto the scene at 14, becoming the youngest athlete ever to sign a professional contract in the US.

On Saturday, he signed for his 11th club in as many years since turning professional when Finnish top-flight side Kuopion Palloseura announced the American had agreed to join them on a one-year deal.

Since signing professional terms with DC United in 2004, Adu went on to play for Real Salt Lake, Benfica, Monaco, Belenenses, Greek side Aris and Turkish Super Lig club Rizespor.

In 2011, he returned to the US to join Philadelphia Union, before stints at Bahia in Brazil and Serbian side Jagodina, who released him in December.

Kovacic to Liverpool is impossible, he'll stay at Inter – agent

The midfielder has been heavily linked with a move to Anfield, with scouts reportedly checking on his progress, but his representative insists a move will not happen


Mateo Kovacic will not be joining Liverpool from Inter, according to his agent.

The Croatia international has been heavily linked with a move to Anfield in recent weeks, with reports suggesting that scouts had watched the 20-year-old in action with a view to a €30 million summer bid.

However, Kovacic’s representative, Nikky Vuksan, has now moved to quash any speculation and insists the midfielder will remain at San Siro.

“It is not going to happen. Mateo extended his contract with Inter in January. Could it be that clubs are negotiating? No, that is not possible without Mateo and me knowing about it,” he told Vecernji list .

“Also, I have a player at Liverpool, Dejan Lovren, so I would know about it. Both the English and Italian media speculate and find new clubs that want Kovacic every week. He’ll stay at Inter.

“Also, if there was something going on, believe me journalists would be the last to find out.”

Kovacic has scored eight goals in 34 appearances in all competitions for Inter this season.

Van der Vaart set to leave Hamburg

The Dutchman has been told that he will not be offered a new deal, while Marcell Jansen will also leave HSV come the end of the season

Hamburg CEO Dietmar Beiersdorfer has revealed that club captain Rafael van der Vaart will depart when his current deal runs out in June.

The attacking midfielder, who has been linked with a move to Major League Soccer, is a free agent in June and Beiersdorfer has intimated that the 32-year-old will not be extending his stay at the Bundesliga club. 

Furthermore, Marcell Jansen will also leave HSV come June, while they have yet to make a decision about the futures of Heiko Westermann and Slobodan Rajkovic at the Imtech Arena. 

“We have already talked with Van der Vaart, Jansen, Westermann and Rajkovic about our planning,” Beiersdorfer told the club’s official website.

“Rafael and Marcell know that we will not open talks about a contract extension with them.

“Regarding Heiko and Slobodan, we have postponed the decision and communicated it to the players as well.”

Van der Vaart, who Beiersdorfer has hinted could be offered a possible future coaching role at Hamburg, is in his second spell at the club, having rejoined from Tottenham in August 2012. 

Sporting Kansas City earlier this month confirmed an interest in signing Van der Vaart, while he has also been linked with a return to his boyhood club Ajax.

Al-Sadd director claims Xavi deal

The ex-Spain international was already close to leaving Barcelona last year before eventually staying put, but now appears to be on his way out of Camp Nou after all

Barcelona legend Xavi is set to leave the Primera Division leaders to sign for Al-Sadd this summer, according to the Qatari club’s sporting director.

The 35-year-old was close to leaving Barcelona ahead of the 2014-15 campaign, but eventually elected to remain at Camp Nou following talks with head coach Luis Enrique.

Rumours of a move away from his long-time home re-surfaced over the last couple of weeks, with a move to the MLS as a potential option, too.

However, sharing pictures of Xavi in Qatar on social media, first-team manager Abdullah Al-Berik has claimed Xavi will continue his career at Al Sadd.

“Al Sadd have just managed to sign Barcelona captain Xavi and this is a picture of him with sporting director Muhammed Ghoulam,” he wrote on Instagram.

تشافي مع مسؤولي السد قبل التوقيع للزعيم pic.twitter.com/Ux0BvY5tYA

— adel mansour (@antonio7alex) March 27, 2015

Goal understands that a contract between the two parties is yet to be formalised, though could be agreed sooner rather than later, with Xavi expected to ink a three-year deal.

The experienced midfielder joined Barcelona as a youth back in 1991 and, after cutting his teeth in the club’s reserve team, became a first-team regular in the 1999-2000 season.

In total, Xavi has seven La Liga titles and three Champions Leagues.

He is set to follow in the footsteps of former Barcelona players such as Pep Guardiola, Gabri Garcia, Frank de Boer, Ronald de Boer, Christophe Dugarry, Romario and Sonny Anderson, who all made the move to Qatar as well at some stage of their career.