Schneiderlin tells Southampton: I want to leave

The 24-year-old midfielder, representing France at this summer’s World Cup, has attracted keen interest from Arsenal and Napoli and has decided that he will quit the Saints


By Marco Giordano

France midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin is set to follow Mauricio Pochettino, Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana out of Southampton this summer, Goal understands.

Schneiderlin has told the Saints he wants to leave the club and has been attracting plenty of interest, particularly from Arsenal and Napoli.

The Gunners have been monitoring the Frenchman’s situation for some time and could now be tempted into making an official approach with news that he wants out of St Mary’s.

However, Serie A club Napoli have already held talks with the 24-year-old’s representatives and settled on a deal to raise his annual salary by €400,00, taking it to nearly €1 million plus bonuses.

Rafa Benitez’s side also believe they are battling Tottenham for Schneiderlin’s signature, and they would ironcially strengthen Spurs’ need for a central midfielder if they are successful in their attempts to sign Sandro.

Schneiderlin could join up with former Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino should he decide to move to Spurs.

The Argentine boss moved to White Hart Lane at the end of May, sparking a firesale at the south-coast club.

Shaw completed his switch to Manchester United on Friday, while Lallana joined Liverpool.

Striker Jay Rodriguez, who had been tipped to make England’s World Cup squad until damaging his medial knee ligament towards the end of the Premier League season, has also been linked with a move to Tottenham, while centre-back Dejan Lovren is said to be on Arsenal’s radar.

Teenager Gauld joins Sporting

The Scottish starlet has garnered interest from a number of Europe’s top sides, but will remain in the Portuguese capital until 2020


Sporting Lisbon have completed the signing of Dundee United teenager Ryan Gauld on a six-year deal, it was announced on Wednesday.

The 18-year-old has risen to prominence since breaking into United’s first-team in 2012, and has courted attention from several teams throughout Europe.

However, it is Primeira Liga side Sporting who have won the race for the Scot’s signature for an undisclosed fee, and he will remain at Estadio Jose Alvalade until at least 2020.

“Sporting Club de Portugal and Dundee United have reached an agreement for the player Ryan Gauld, representing Sporting in the next six seasons,” read a statement on Sporting’s website.

“A termination clause in the amount of €60million was set.”

United too confirmed the deal stating: “Subject to the usual formalities, Dundee United confirm the transfer of Ryan Gauld to Sporting Lisbon, for an undisclosed fee, was completed last night.

“Everyone at the club wishes Ryan sincere best wishes in his future career.”

Gauld joins a team that has nurtured the likes of Luis Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo, and who will play in this season’s Champions League.

Liverpool to stand firm on Suarez fee as Barcelona officials fly in for transfer talks

The Reds will stand their ground for a second consecutive summer as the Catalan side pursues the striker, with the two clubs rumoured to be holding talks in London on Wednesday


By Wayne Veysey | UK Correspondent

Liverpool will refuse to allow Luis Suarez to join Barcelona for less than the fee stipulated in his release clause, Goal understands.

The Merseysiders’ American owners have vowed to play hardball with their prize asset for a second consecutive summer amid reports that a delegation from Camp Nou will meet Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre in London on Wednesday for an opening round of talks over the 27-year-old.

Barcelona are expected to table a substantial bid for Suarez even though he has been banned for four months by Fifa for biting Giorgio Chiellini.

Liverpool have not denied that a release fee was inserted in the new €280,000-a-week contract that Suarez signed last December.

The precise release clause, which can only be triggered by a non-English club, is unknown but sources anticipate it is between €71-84 million.

Any hope Barca might have had of landing Suarez for a cut-price fee due to his ban and tarnished image will be dashed by the stance of Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG).

Privately, FSG are said to be adamant that Suarez can only leave if the valuation of his release fee is met.

Should this figure not be matched, Liverpool plan to hold on to Suarez at least until January, even though he will miss the first two-and-a-half months of next season.

A repeat of a saga similar to last summer, when Suarez and his agent Pere Guardiola spent months trying to engineer a move to Arsenal, could now be in store as Liverpool refuse to grant their star player an easy exit.

Barca sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta praised the striker for his ability and admitted that his goalscoring record is proof he is capable of playing for the club, statements which Liverpool will have been unimpressed by.

“Everyone knows that Luis is an excellent player, everyone knows last season he played in various positions in attack, but everyone also knows that he is a Liverpool player,” the sporting director said.

“Regardless of whether the club signs him or not, his quality is unquestionable. He has shown a lot of quality with Uruguay and scored more than 30 goals with Liverpool, so he has the necessary quality to play for Barca.”

Barcelona will sell Alexis Sanchez, possibly to one of his Premier League suitors, to free up space in their front line and on their wage bill for Suarez.

The Uruguayan’s situation is also being monitored by the Catalan club’s great rivals Real Madrid.

De Jong joins Newcastle as Sissoko nears exit

The Ajax star has completed a switch to St James’s Park from the Eredivise champions, while the France international has emerged as a transfer target for Serie A side Napoli


Newcastle have announced the signing of Siem de Jong for an undisclosed fee, with the Ajax captain a potential replacement for Moussa Sissoko, who wants to leave St James’s Park.

De Jong has playeed over 150 league matches for the Eredivisie champions and becomes Alan Pardew’s first signing of the summer, having agreed a six-year contract.

“It is great to have signed for Newcastle,” he told the club’s official website. “It is a big club which my brother [Luuk de Jong] told me all about so I already feel good here.

“I had been at Ajax a long time and wanted a new challenge in a new environment and a new country. Coming to Newcastle is a great opportunity and the chance to play for a club like this in the Premier League was one I could not turn down.

The Dutchman missed out on a place in Louis van Gaal’s Netherlands squad for the World Cup but could be set to replace France international Moussa Sissoko in the North East.

Sissoko could be on the way out after a little over a year on Tyneside, with Serie A club Napoli a potential destination for the former Toulouse man.

The 24-year-old, who is part of the France squad at the World Cup and scored as Didier Deschamps’s side smashed Switzerland 5-2 in their second group game, is seen as a realistic target for Rafael Benitez’s team.

Goal understands that the Italian club would be willing to nearly double Sissoko’s wages, while the lure of Champions League football is likely to be another factor in any potential negotiations.

With Sissoko contracted until 2019, however, Newcastle will not be forced to sell one of their prized assets on the cheap and will be looking to recuperate at least the fee that they paid to bring the Frenchman to England back in January 2013.

How does Diego Costa compare with Chelsea flops Torres, Eto'o & Ba?

The Blues have stumped up the Spain international’s buy-out clause as Jose Mourinho revamps his forward line, but how much of an improvement is the 25-year-old striker?


Chelsea have confirmed the signing of Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid, with the Spaniard becoming the Blues’ second summer signing after Cesc Fabregas.

Jose Mourinho will be hoping the Brazil-born attacker can finally provide the firepower his side have desperately lacked, with last season’s trio of Samuel Eto’o, Fernando Torres and Demba Ba all struggling.

Cameroon skipper Eto’o has since departed the club after his contract expired, the subject of “old man” jibes from his manager, though Ba and Torres remain.

As a collective, the three-piece managed just 19 Premier League goals last season, while Costa netted 27 in La Liga alone, with his goals driving Atleti towards the title.

Not only did he score more often, but he also missed fewer clear-cut chances. The 25-year-old’s big chance conversation rate across the league and Champions League stood at 50 per cent, while it was just 44% for the Chelsea strikers.

Check out how Chelsea’s latest signing stacks up against his new Stamford Bridge attacking team-mates…