Muller unaware of Barcelona offer

The versatile Bayern Munich attacker has been linked with a transfer to the Spanish champions, but he has stated no formal bid has been made

Bayern Munich attacker Thomas Muller has made it clear that he is unaware of any potential offers for him amid rumours linking the 24-year-old with a move to Barcelona at the end of the season.

The Spanish champions allegedly see Muller as the ideal addition to their squad, with club president Josep Bartomeu already having sanctioned a summer transfer.

Nevertheless, Muller has insisted no official bid has been made for his services.

“Has an offer been made for me? I don’t think Bayern would be able to confirm an offer came in and I cannot add anything about it either,” Muller told TZ.

“I heard about the article saying Barcelona want me. I can imagine that my agent has received a few approaches for me over the past few years, but that does not automatically mean there’s serious interest.”

However, the Germany international hinted that he is happy to stay at Bayern even if an offer from abroad came in as he is keen to win more silverware with the Allianz Arena side.

He added: “Right now, Bayern are the team holding all the titles. There are a few clubs out there that are on par with Bayern. But we are the team to beat at this point. And we are determined to keep it that way.”

Muller has a contract with Bayern until the summer of 2017.

Sagna & Evra next on Inter hitlist as Vidic deal nears completion

The Serie A club have been in England looking to finalise a deal for the Manchester United captain, but have also made enquiries about the two France internationals

By Fabrizio Romano

Inter are preparing a summer raid on the Premier League and have earmarked Bacary Sagna and Patrice Evra as potential defensive targets.

The Nerazzurri are also confident of wrapping up a deal for Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic, who will leave Old Trafford this summer when his contract expires, and have expressed an interest in Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata.

Officials from the Serie A club have been in England finalising a deal for Vidic, but also took the opportunity to make enquiries regarding his United team-mate Evra and Arsenal right-back Sagna.

Both players’ current deals expire at the end of the season and Inter have been working hard to bring them to San Siro as new Inter president Erick Thohir looks to deliver on his promise to re-establish the 2010 Champions League winners as a genuine European force.

However, the Italians face competition from other interested clubs, while both United and Arsenal have offered their respective players extensions.

Inter believe they are more likely to land Sagna, 31, after being told that the France international, who Goal understands has been offered a lucrative deal from Liverpool, is considering a change of scenery following seven years in north London.

The Gunners re-opened talks with Sagna in January but have so far been unable to persuade the former Auxerre man to extend his stay at the Emirates Stadium.

David Moyes, meanwhile, has spoken highly of the long-serving Evra in recent weeks, despite the club’s pursuit of Everton left-back Leighton Baines and a failed attempt to bring in Fabio Coentrao from Real Madrid in the summer.

The Premier League champions also hold a long-standing interest in Southampton’s £20 million rated left-back Luke Shaw.

Despite Inter’s interest and less than five months remaining on his current deal, Evra insists he remains committed to the Old Trafford club.

“My love will not change for the club,” he said after United crashed to a 2-0 defeat against Olympiakos in the Champions League on Tuesday.  “I love Manchester. When my love will be broken with Manchester, I will study the possibilities.”

Inter are also interested in Madrid youngster Morata, whose contract expires at the end of next season.

Arsenal, Juventus and Monaco are among several other clubs interested in the European Under-21 Championship winner, who could be available at a bargain price given his contract circumstances.

Mourinho: I'd return to Inter after Chelsea

The 51-year-old stressed he is happy at Stamford Bridge but says he would be open to a move back to the club he won the treble with in 2010 if he ever left England again

Jose Mourinho admits he would consider a return to Inter if Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich no longer wanted him at Stamford Bridge.

The 51-year-old spent two seasons with the Italian club and left in 2010 having won Serie A, the Champions League and the Coppa Italia in his final campaign.

“Right now I’m fine at Chelsea, but in the future Abramovich could decide that my adventure here is over,” Mourinho told Mediaset.

“That day I could go back to Italy and it’s normal for me to think about Inter. But only Inter, not another Italian club.”

Mourinho joined Real Madrid after his spell at San Siro, before returning to Stamford Bridge last summer to takeover from interim coach Rafa Benitez.

Sherwood hails 'legend' Defoe after last Tottenham game

With a move to Toronto FC set for the end of February, the England international striker will not get one last goodbye against Dnipro on Thursday due to a hamstring injury

Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe has played his last game for the club, says manager Tim Sherwood, labelling him a “legend” of White Hart Lane.

The England international has agreed a move to MLS side Toronto at the end of February but will sit out the second leg of Spurs’ Europa League last-32 tie with Dnipro on Thursday due to a hamstring injury.

The 31-year-old, who broke Martin Chivers’s club record of 22 European goals with a penalty in the 2-1 win over Sheriff in November, has been a huge hit over two spells in north London and his boss believes that he is among their all-time greats.

“Obviously you would argue that there’s Jimmy Greaves but Jermain Defoe is possibly one of the best goalscorers the club’s ever seen,” Sherwood told the press.

“Unfortunately he’s not fit. He’ll be at the game to say his goodbyes, hopefully.

“Let’s hope we can find another like Jermain Defoe because he’s all about goals. Whenever he pulled on the Tottenham shirt he always played with his heart and spirit for the club and gave everything, and everyone appreciates his efforts here.

“He certainly will be a legend at the club.”

Sherwood also revealed that midfielder Sandro is back in contention for the clash with Dnipro – that will see Tottenham attempting to overturn a 1-0 deficit at White Hart Lane – after missing the past two months with injury.

“We’ve been very careful with Sandro because he’s been out for long periods and, previously, when he’s been put back in too early he’s had a little niggle and he’s had to miss a few weeks,” the manager added.

“But he’s done more training than he’s ever done before so we’ve strengthened the injury and we’re hoping that he’s ready to go.

“It’s good to have Sandro back in the squad. He’s a great character around the dressing-room and he gives everything on the pitch and leaves nothing on the field. You know for sure he’s going to give you 100 per cent.”

Reina yet to decide on Napoli future

The 31-year-old shot-stopper, who has been linked with Barcelona, says he will wait to go back to Liverpool before deciding his next move

Pepe Reina says his Napoli future will not necessarily be determined by the level of success the club achieves this season.

The Spain international goalkeeper is currently on a season-long loan at Stadio San Paolo from Premier League side Liverpool.

Spanish champions Barcelona – with whom Reina began his career – have been heavily linked with a move for the 31-year-old as they look to replace Victor Valdes.

Reina is yet to reach a decision on his future, though, and intends to return to Merseyside before making a judgement on his next move.

“I need to go back to Liverpool at the end of my loan and I will make my decision there,” he said ahead of Napoli’s Europa League last-32 second leg with Swansea City.

“My future does not depend on our results this season. We are having a good season, it’s a shame we have lost a few too many points at the San Paolo.

“Juventus’ season is overshadowing everyone a little bit. We hold the Europa League in high regard and we have a Coppa Italia final to play. We also must qualify for the Champions League.”

Napoli entertain Swansea on Thursday having secured a 0-0 draw at the Liberty Stadium last week.

And head coach Rafael Benitez is looking for his charges to play at a high tempo to secure progression.

“Rhythm and speed will be the keys to winning tomorrow,” he commented. “We must also play with lots of intensity because we have seen that the away leg was played at a very high tempo.

“I don’t think possession is all important tomorrow. It will be more important for us to combine our defensive and attacking phases of play well, so that we are well balanced.

“We must be able to create chances to score without risking being hit on the counter-attack.”