Robben: Why would I want to leave Bayern?

The Dutchman is said to have been deemed surplus to requirements by incoming Bavarian coach Pep Guardiola but the winger has rubbished reports of a move to the Etihad

Arjen Robben has dismissed speculation linking him with Manchester City, saying he has no desire to leave Bayern Munich.

It has been claimed that incoming Roten coach Pep Guardiola has already deemed the Netherlands international surplus to requirements, prompting further speculation that the winger could end up returning to England.

City are said to be interested, but Robben insists that there is no truth in the reports, which have come as a most unwelcome distraction for the former Chelsea star in the lead-up to this month’s Champions League final clash with Borussia Dortmund.

“I still have two years on my deal so why should I leave?” the 29-year-old asked reporters during a press conference on Tuesday. “It is all about performance on the pitch and in the past games I have shown I can contribute here at Bayern.

“There has been so much speculation in the past month but I am concentrated only on one thing and that is Bayern. All these rumours have come up way too often during recent weeks.

“We want to win the title on May 25 and that is the only thing that counts.”

Bayern are the favourites for the continental tournament decider, having routed Barcelona 7-0 on aggregate in the last four.

Consequently, Robben is in a bullish frame of mind ahead of the Bavarians’ Wembley showdown with Bundesliga rivals Borussia Dortmund, who saw off Real Madrid in the last four.

“We want, and are expecting, to win the final,” he declared. “We will do everything we can to achieve that. We do not think we can lose this match.”

Robben, who has been capped 63 times by Netherlands, joined Bayern from Real Madrid in 2009.

Muller: Gotze deal adds extra spice to Champions League final

The 20-year-old playmaker is to move to the Allianz Arena, with die Roten having agreed to meet the Germany international’s €37 million buy-out clause

Thomas Muller has admitted that Borussia Dortmund starlet Mario Gotze joining Bayern Munich this summer has added extra spice to this month’s Champions League final.

The news that the attacking midfielder would be swapping Signal Iduna Park for the Allianz Arena would have intensified the rivalry between the two Bundesliga giants anyway, but the manner and timing of the announcement of the deal upset BVB greatly, given the news broke just before the first leg of their last-four encounter with Real Madrid.

Consequently, Muller feels that the Gotze transfer has made Bayern’s May 25 meeting with Dortmund at Wembley all the more interesting.

“I like Mario Gotze,” the 23-year-old told reporters on Tuesday. “I’m glad he’s coming to Bayern and it’ll add that bit more spice to the final.

“There is a lot of spice in this game and I like spice. I like that we play against Dortmund because there is even more passion in there.”

Muller knows, though, that the pressure is very much on Bayern, given they were upset by Chelsea in last year’s tournament decider – despite having had the advantage of playing at the Allianz Arena.

“It is about time we won this thing,” the Germany international acknowledged. “If we lost again we would have a loser’s tag on ourselves and it would not be an injustice.

“But, in truth, last year’s final or the one three years ago [against Inter] have nothing to do with this one. Except there are some players that were there, too.

“Of course it would have been amazing last year. But we are even stronger away from home this year and that makes me optimistic.”

Bayern beat Barcelona 7-0 on aggregate to progress to the final, while Dortmund beat Madrid 4-3 over two legs.

Higuain is no champion, warns Moggi

The ex-Bianconeri official wants the Turin club to sell Mirko Vucinic and has suggested that Alessandro Diamanti would be a great addition to their strikeforce

Former Juventus director Luciano Moggi has warned his former club against signing Gonzalo Higuain from Real Madrid and suggested that they consider selling Mirko Vucinic.

As Goal recently revealed, the Biaconeri have agreed terms “in principle” with Higuain, with the Argentine currently considering parting company with Real Madrid after six years at the Santiago Bernabeu.

However, Moggi is set against the proposed deal, telling Radio Sportiva: “He’s good player but he has no a champion.”

Moggi also claimed that Juve can do without Vucinic, who has, for the most part, been the one constant in the Bianconeri attack this season.

“They have sold players given [Fernando] Llorente has already [effectively] arrived,” he argued, referring to the Spaniard’s summer move from Athletic Bilbao to Turin. “So they should continue to sell players that have been made redundant, maybe [even] Vucinic.”

Moggi believes that Juve will not have to look too far for replacements, arguing that they should bring in Italy international Alessandro Diamanti from Bologna and teenage sensation Domenico Berardi from Sassuolo.

“Diamanti has proven himself to be a player who decides games,” he enthused. “And also that he has the right DNA for Juve: he is a warrior.

“Obviously there is a need for a more competitive squad because the current players have been overworked.

“A publicly-listed football clubs must do be prudent, to comply with budgetary constraints and create value. But maybe [they should] take a young player like Berardi, just as they did with [midfielder Paul] Pogba.”

Moggi would also welcome the return of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with whom he enjoyed an excellent working relationship.

“Zlatan is the greatest guy in the world,” he enthused. “He never had a problem with me, partly because there was a very clear relationship between employer and employee.

“He’s a businesslike person. He adapts to the will of the employer on the assumption that they know how to handle things.”

Moggi parted company with Juventus in 2006 because of his involvement in the ‘Calciopoli‘ scandal.

Allegri refutes Roma reports

It has been claimed that the 45-year-old, who led the Rossoneri to third this season, is considering taking charge of the Giallorossi

AC Milan boss Massimiliano Allegri has rubbished reports that he has held talks with Roma about moving to the Stadio Olimpico this summer.

Several Italian dailies claimed on Tuesday that the 45-year-old has been approached by the Giallorossi to gauge his interest in succeeding current coach Aurelio Andreazzoli, whose short-term contract expires at the end of the season.

However, Milan moved quickly to dismiss the veracity of the articles and insist that no contact has taken place between the capital-based team and the Rossoneri trainer.

The club issued the following statement: “In relation to stories published today (Tuesday) in some newspapers, Massimiliano Allegri denies having met with any representatives of Roma.”

Allegri’s position as Milan boss has been the subject of much debate this season and it was recently reported that owner Silvio Berlusconi was considering replacing the Livorno native with former Rossoneri midfielder Clarence Seedorf.

Wenger refuses to rule out Arsenal move for Rooney

The Gunners boss was coy on reported interest in the unsettled Manchester United striker, insisting he is keen to focus on on-field matters

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has remained coy over a potential move for wantaway Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney.

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed on Sunday that the 27-year-old had handed in a second transfer request in under three years, but it was swiftly rejected.

Both Chelsea and Arsenal have joined the race for Rooney’s signature, and Wenger has refused to commit himself either way before the end of the current campaign.

“Look, I’m not in a position today to speak about any transfer targets. What I am focused on is the short term and after the Newcastle game I give you answer about these questions,” the Frenchman told reporters.

And when pressed as to whether he could ever see such a star swap Old Trafford for the Emirates, Wenger added: “I just told you!”

Wenger instead wants focus to remain on the club’s final two Premier League games against Wigan and Newcastle, with Arsenal requiring a maximum points return to secure qualification for next season’s Champions League.

The Gunners are closing in on Fiorentina’s Stevan Jovetic but could face competition from Serie A champions Juventus, who are also keen on the Montenegro international.