Juventus will not make any big signings in January, says Marotta

Giuseppe Marotta has made it clear that Juventus do not plan to make any big signings in the January transfer window.

The Turin side have been linked with a number of strikers in the past few weeks as they aim to add some more firepower to their squad, but Marotta has stressed that the right opportunity has yet to come along this winter.

“I expect the January window to close without any big signings. The right opportunity has not presented itself to Juventus,” the club’s general director told Sky Sport Italia.

“We are obviously looking around and evaluating the situation of certain players, but our main objective at the moment is to recuperate injured players and those who will play at the AFCON.”

Marotta also took the time to discuss Juventus’ title chances following their recent loss against Sampdoria and draw versus Parma, and stressed that it’s impossible to win all games.

“There’s no reason to be pessimistic. We should remain realistic. Serie A is a bit like the Giro d’Italia. You simply cannot win every stage. It’s the final standings that really matter.”

Juventus currently hold a three-point lead over second-placed Lazio.

Martinez wants to keep Di Santo at Wigan during 'impossible' transfer window

Roberto Martinez wants to keep Franco Di Santo at Wigan despite growing uncertainty over the Argentina international’s future at the club.

The former Chelsea man’s contract runs out at the end of the season and Martinez has previously insisted that the club would rather lose him in the summer than cash in on him.

Di Santo netted in Wigan’s draw with Fulham on Saturday, and the Spanish boss also admitted he “hates” the frantic nature of the January window.

The manager told reporters: “All I’m focusing on with Franco is that he keeps developing, that he keeps fulfilling his potential and just having the impact that he has today.

“We will lose players and have to move players on but we also want to keep players.

“I think the window is fantastic for the fans, for the media. It brings great speculation.

“All the fans get excited. It gives you the opportunity to have a second life if you want, in the season. What I hate is that the window is open while the games are going on and I always found it impossible for the players.

“We forget that players are human beings and if you’re going to consider the next move in your career, you’re allowed to do that because as a human being in any job you need to do that.

“The problem is that when you do that while the games are going on, it’s disrespectful to the club, it’s disrespectful to the fans and disrespectful to the competition itself.”

The Lancashire club have been involved in a string of relegation battles in the past few years, staying in the Premier League last year following a late run of form, but the manager believes the club should aim higher.

“I think changing the mentality of us as a football club is important. Slowly we need to move our aims and try to finish in the top 10,” he continued.

“We finished top of the form league in the last nine games of last season and in the summer the pundits were quick to mention Wigan are favourites for relegation. We need to change that perception.”

Zubizarreta: Valdes has not told us that he wants to leave Barcelona

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has stressed that Victor Valdes has not told the club that he wants to leave the Primera Division leaders.


The Blaugrana have informed the goalkeeper that they are keen to open talks over a contract extension, but Valdes recently stated that he would be interested in playing in another league at some point in the future.

However, the shot stopper has yet to make a final decision on his future, and Zubizarreta remains hopeful that he will stay at his current club.

“Victor Valdes has not told us that he wants to leave the club. We have not discussed a contract renewal yet with his agent, but we sat down to talk about some other things,” Zubizarreta told reporters.

“We will open talks when the time is right. We have a lot of love for Victor Valdes and we want him to stay at this club.”

The 31-year-old’s current deal with Barca runs until June 2014.

Ben Arfa: Signing for Paris Saint-Germain a childhood dream

Newcastle United star Hatem Ben Arfa has admitted that he would be open to a move to Paris Saint-Germain, if they made a bid for him.

The attacking midfielder, 25, is currently in France while he recovers from a hamstring injury and says a return to his native country would be an opportunity he would find difficult to pass up.

Despite his apparent desire to return to his homeland in the future, Ben Arfa maintains that he is happy to stay at the Magpies and is determined to help them avoid relegation on his return from injury.

Speaking to Le Parisien, he said: “I’m under contract with Newcastle and I am very happy. Firstly, I must save my club [from relegation]. Then once I have saved my club, you never know.

“Signing for PSG is a childhood dream. If there is a proposal, I will study it with interest. If there is a proposal – ‘if’ is important.

“PSG… its sound lives in my heart. If I could play there, it will be a beautiful gift.

“PSG is a symbol in football. So, yes, PSG is a part of me. I had all the players’ posters when I was little. Parc des Princes is 15 minutes from my house today.”

Newcastle’s fortunes this campaign have been invariably different to those of last season. The Magpies have already lost Demba Ba to Chelsea this window while Fabricio Coloccini is reportedly seeking a return to Argentina.

On the pitch the team are also struggling, having only won two of their last eight games, but Ben Arfa is eyeing a return within the next month and is hopeful of playing a key role in ensuring their survival.

“I should be able to resume [playing] in mid-February,” he continued. “I rehabilitate from Monday to Friday at the medical centre at Clairefontaine. Morale is good because I’m in Paris and with family.

“But when I see the games on television, it is not easy. The team needs all its players.”

Lamah would be a perfect fit for Swansea, insists De Guzman

Jonathan de Guzman is adamant that Roland Lamah would be an ideal signing for Swansea City as he closes in on a €2.4 million switch.

The 25-year-old has become a key player in Michael Laudrup’s side and believes that the Belgian midfielder could be just as good a player for the Swans.

“Roland’s a strong player,” the Canadian-born midfielder told reporters. “I remember playing against him in Holland. I was playing for Feyenoord and he was playing for Roda JC.

“He scores goals, he has a good shot and he’s fast. If he came here, I think he’d fit in with the players here who like to play football.”

Laudrup has already proven his eye for a bargain this season, bringing Michu to the club for €2.4m and seeing the Spaniard rocket up the Premier League scoring charts.

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque watched the Swans’ 0-0 draw with Everton on Saturday and claiming the former Rayo Vallecano man will be in his next Roja squad, but De Guzman has highlighted other Spaniards who may have caught the eye.

“We all know Spain have a great squad but I think, over the whole season, Chico [Flores] has done well and put himself on the map,” he added.

“He [Del Bosque] came here to watch Michu but there is also Chico, Angel Rangel and Pablo Hernandez.

“Chico gave a great performance and I think Spain’s national coach acknowledged that.”