Bale is good enough for Real Madrid, says former Spurs team-mate Modric

Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric has urged former Tottenham team-mate Gareth Bale to join him at the Bernabeu, saying the Welsh winger is good enough to play for the Spanish champions.

The 23-year-old has been a revelation for Spurs since being converted from a full-back to play further forward by Harry Redknapp, and Bale’s eye-catching displays in Europe have attracted the attention of top clubs.

Now Croatian star Modric – whose side beat Bales’ Wales 2-0 on Tuesday night – feels the speedy winger would be a fantastic signing for Jose Mourinho’s team.

“I agree [Bale] should play for Real Madrid and I hope he’ll come”, he told BBC Radio Wales.

“It would be amazing and I think he can [play for Real Madrid]. He’s a good enough player.”

Real currently trail bitter rivals Barcelona by eight points in La Liga after a stuttering start, but the acquisition of Bale could drive them on to a successful defence of their league title – although it is extremely unlikely Andre Villas-Boas will let his star leave in the January transfer window.

Bale led Wales to victory against Scotland on Friday night with a late penalty and a stunning solo strike, and after showing impressive form for Tottenham this year, the highlight being a powerful run and finish as Villas-Boas’ side won 3-2 away to Manchester United in September, the Welsh winger is a wanted man.

The winger won the PFA Players’ Player of the Year award for his performances during the 2010-11 campaign, including a hat-trick at the San Siro against Inter which won him widespread acclaim.

Spurs have a partnership scheme with Real which allows the two clubs to work together regarding players, coaching and commercial relationships, which could tip any future move in favour of the Madrid side.

Fontas completes loan move from Barcelona to Mallorca

Barcelona’s Andreu Fontas has joined fellow Liga side Real Mallorca on loan for the rest of the campaign, in a bid to get games under his belt after a serious injury.

The Spain Under-21 man suffered anterior cruciate ligament damage in January, and despite Tito Vilanova’s team being short of defenders after injuries to Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique, they do want to risk the 22-year-old after his lengthy layoff.

The youngster will provide cover for Joao Victor, who suffered a severe knee injury in the Islanders’ 2-1 defeat to Granada.

He is likely to make his debut for his new side when they travel to Sevilla on Monday, and he will wear the number 24 shirt.

Giuseppe Rossi's agent: Inter are a possible option

Italy striker Giuseppe Rossi interests Serie A giants Inter, according to the Italian’s agent.

The 25-year-old had been linked with a move to Juventus, before the Bianconeri eventually turned down their chance of signing the player, as revealed earlier on Tuesday by Goal.com.

“Inter are a possible option for Giuseppe,” representative Federico Pastorello told Rai GR Parlamento.

“The side being put together by president Massimo Moratti, with a new project and a young well-prepared coach, is intriguing and we’ll leave the door open for it.

“We’ve often talked about various solutions in Italy and abroad, and Giuseppe has an undeniable appreciation for the Inter project, a club who want to remain at the top with a younger squad and cheaper costs.”

New Jersey-born Rossi is currently recovering from a knee injury, which he picked up during Villarreal’s 3-0 loss against Real Madrid in October, 2011.

“The operation went well and we are hoping that he’ll be back in training in March and will return to action by the end of the season,” his agent continued.

“I’m certain that he will be back stronger than ever.”

Monchengladbach winger Herrmann dismisses Tottenham link as 'just rumours'

Borussia Monchengladbach attacker Patrick Herrmann has insisted there is no substance to the recent rumours linking him with a move to Tottenham.

Reports in Germany have claimed that Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas is considering lodging a £7 million bid for the 21-year-old.

But, despite describing the suggestions as “flattering”, the midfielder has dismissed the idea of moving any time soon.

“I have heard about that. I read papers,” Herrmann told Rheinische Press. “Of course, those sums are somewhat flattering.

“You don’t have to overrate it. My agents did not tell me anything about it. That’s just rumours.”

Herrmann has made 56 appearances for Bundesliga side Monchengladbach in just over two years, finding the net 10 times.

He was keen to emphasise, though, his happiness with his current situation.

“I am happy about the praise. But why should I leave now? I feel great here,” he added.

“And the last season was great fun, we played beautiful football. We want to return to that now and are on the right path.”

Manchester United winger Nani targeted by Milan in cut-price move

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

AC Milan are leading the chase to sign Nani but want Manchester United to lower their price tag to £12 million, Goal.comhas learned.

The Portuguese is almost certain to leave Old Trafford next year following a breakdown in his relationship with the club.

Talks over a new contract have yet to be resolved while the winger’s poor start to the season reached a new low when he had an alleged training ground fight with reserve team midfielder Davide Petrucci last month.

United are holding out for £20m for a player they signed from Sporting Lisbon in 2007 but his value will diminish if he is still at Old Trafford at the end of the season, by which time he will only have 12 months remaining on his contract.

Milan have indicated they are willing to enter the race for Nani’s signature but value him at the £12m mark.

It is believed Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to sanction the sale of the winger, who turns 26 next month.

Although a key creator and goalscorer for United in the three seasons that followed Cristiano Ronaldo’s departure to Real Madrid, Nani has frustrated Ferguson with his inconsistency.

He was dropped from the 18-man United squad against Fulham in the second weekend of the season after failing to shine in their Premier League opener against Everton.

He then upset Ferguson by missing a penalty against Galatasaray in the Champions League and only started the 3-2 defeat to Tottenham, in which he scored his only goal of the season, because of injuries to Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young.

A January exit is understood to be unlikely but a parting of the ways next summer is now increasingly inevitable.

A £25m deal to sell him to Zenit St Petersburg in the summer fell through because his “unreal” wage demands put off the Russian club.

Ferguson has strengthened his attacking options by signing Robin van Persie, Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell this summer, and, as revealed by Goal.com last month, is lining up a £5m move for 20-year-old Blackpool winger Tom Ince.

Follow Wayne Veysey on