Southampton eye up Chicharito swoop

Ronald Koeman’s men are considering a move for the Manchester United striker, who would cost around €19m, but may face competition from Atletico Madrid


Southampton are lining up a move for Manchester United striker Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez, Goal understands.

The south-coast side have renewed their interest in the Mexico international after attempting to sign the 26-year-old in January after the Red Devils informed Chicharito he could go out on loan.

Then manager David Moyes subsequently pulled the plug on a potential move away, but new boss Louis van Gaal has refused to rule out an Old Trafford exit for the striker.

When asked after the friendly win in Washington whether he would consider selling Chicharito, Van Gaal told reporters: “That I cannot answer because he is a player of Manchester United at this moment.”

Southampton, meanwhile, are cash-rich having sold Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Rickie Lambert and Calum Chambers and with Tottenham keen on Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin.

Manchester United are believed to want around £15 million (€19m) for Chicharito, who joined Manchester United from Guadalajara in 2010 and has become a fan favourite at Old Trafford.

Southampton may face competition from abroad, however, with Spanish champions Atletico Madrid interested in the Mexico international and manager Diego Simeone admitting a move could happen.

“With Javier Hernandez and plenty of other great players, anything is possible. We can’t close the door to anyone until the transfer window closes,” he said.

Chicharito has also been linked with a move to Inter, where he would link up with former captain Nemanja Vidic, and admitted he was happy to hear of the Serie A side’s interest.

Tottenham agree €5 million deal for Dier

The England Under-21 centre-back is set to sign a five-year contract on Thursday after a decade in Portugal with Sporting as Mauricio Pochettino looks to bolster his defence


Tottenham have agreed a €5 million deal with Sporting for England Under-21 international Eric Dier.

The central defender has accepted terms on a five-year contract at White Hart Lane, which he is due to sign on Thursday, with the Portuguese outfit not retaining a sell-on clause.

The 20-year-old was born in Cheltenham but moved to Portugal a decade ago, where he was quickly recruited into Sporting’s renowned academy system.

Dier signed professional terms with the Lisbon club in 2010, was loaned to Everton for half a season the following January, and has made 30 first-team appearances for Sporting over the last two campaigns.

Eligible for citizenship in Portugal, Dier has resisted approached from the Portuguese federation to play for their national teams, and has been capped by England at every youth level from Under-18 upwards.

Tottenham have been working on strengthening their options in central defence for several months amidst doubts over Michael Dawson’s long-term fitness and with Younes Kaboul’s contract entering its final year.

Often played out of his preferred central position as a left back, Jan Vertonghen has been offered a revised five-year-deal and recently stated that he “would like to stay at Tottenham”.

New manager Mauricio Pochettino has taken a direct role in approaching potential new recruits, meeting earlier this week to discuss the transfers of Portuguese defenders Jose Fonte and Miguel Lopes.

Fonte, 30, has just a single season left on his Southampton contract and would be allowed to leave the South Coast club for a reasonable transfer fee.

Sporting right-back Lopes spent last season on loan at Olympique Lyonnais and has been identified as a replacement for Kyle Naughton if the former England Under-21 international is sold.

Robinho deal relies on investors, says Flamengo president

The Brazilian club’s chief has confirmed an interest in the forward but revealed that funds are not currently in place for the transfer to go through


Flamengo president Eduardo Bandeira de Mello has announced that the club will not be able to sign Robinho without backing from investors.

Robinho has fallen out of favour at AC Milan and it has been widely reported that the club are looking to offload the 30-year-old this summer, with offers from the A-League, MLS and Brasileirao sides Santos and Atletico Mineiro all rumoured to have been submitted.

Bandeira de Mello admits his own side would be keen to bring the former Real Madrid man back to Brazil but concedes his salary would be too great without additional backing.

“There’s nothing concrete about the arrival of Robinho to Flamengo,” said the club’s president in an interview with SportTV.

“A signing of this magnitude, at a time we are going through, it must be a project with participation of investors and companies who want to associate their image with the player.

“This has to be planned very carefully. At the moment, we are still experiencing a difficulty in the short term. At the moment, to pay anything, you have to think first in resolving our pending disputes.”

The president also admitted that Flamengo’s top earners could also face payment delays in the short term due to their financial difficulties.

“Flamengo has a small delay on a part of the players, those who earn more,” added Bandeira de Mello.

“But this is a situation which we intend to settle very quickly. It’s a situation that bothers me.”

Aspas urges Moreno to reject Liverpool

The striker joined Sevilla on loan after failing to make an impact at Anfield and has now insisted his new team-mate would be wise to stay in Spain rather than move to England


Liverpool outcast Iago Aspas has urged Alberto Moreno to reject any offer from the Anfield outfit in favour of staying with Sevilla.

The forward, who was signed by Brendan Rodgers last summer, has been sent on loan to the Liga side after failing to score in 14 league outings during the 2013-14 season.

Moreno has been a target for Liverpool during the summer, with Sevilla demanding close to €23 million for their left-back, and Aspas has insisted the player would be wise to stay in Spain rather than move to England.

“Albert Moreno would never feel like he does in Sevilla at Liverpool,” he told ABC de Sevilla.

“I’ve been here for three or four days. Now that I belong to Sevilla, I prefer he stays here.”

Liverpool have already seen a bid of €20m plus attacking midfielder Suso rejected for Moreno as Rodgers looks to further add to his squad following the departure of Luis Suarez to Barcelona for €88m.

Emre Can, Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Dejan Lovren, Lazar Markovic and Divock Origi have already arrived for a combined fee of around €113m, while Liverpool claim a move for Loic Remy failed due to medical reasons.