Hans-Joachim Watzke: Why would Reus or Gotze want to leave?

Hans-Joachim Watzke has laughed off rumours linking Borussia Dortmund stars Marco Reus and Mario Gotze with moves away from the club.

The pair have drawn attention from major clubs across Europe due to their impressive performances, but the 53-year old explained that they are at the right club to continue making progress.

“Why would they leave?” he questioned a reporter during an interview with Bild.

“With us you have a very stable environment, which is just what young players need. Also, with us, they earn good money and have already achieved success.

“They have the very best facilities for them to progress as players and individuals, so why would they go?

“Would I swap them with [Cristiano] Ronaldo? Of course, Ronaldo has superior individual skills, but if he leaves Real Madrid, he would not be coming to to BVB, let us be honest,” he laughed.

Dortmund take on FC Augsbuurg on Saturday as they bid to reduce Bayern Munich’s lead at the top of the Bundesliga.

PSV wonderkid Bazoer weighs up offers from Arsenal, Chelsea & Manchester City

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

PSV wonderkid Riechedly Bazoer is weighing up offers from Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City, Goal.com can reveal.

The 16-year-old central defender was shown around the Premier League champions’ headquarters last Sunday and is set to visit the two London giants imminently.

Bazoer was offered a three-year professional contract by PSV after turning 16 last month and will now decide whether to stay in his homeland or move to one of the elite English clubs.

The youngster, who is regarded as the jewel of PSV’s prolific youth system, is expected to make his choice in the next fortnight.

However, speaking to Goal.com last month, the Dutch club’s sporting director Marcel Brands warned the teenager to choose first-team prospects over money.

Brands said: “We have offered him a professional contract now he has turned 16. I speak with the family, the boy and his agents. We hope we will get an answer soon.

“What is his intention? Is it to develop or go for bigger money in England? You have to ask him and his agent which clubs are interested in him. I don’t know and it doesn’t matter.

“It is his choice and the agent will do their best for the player. The only thing we can do is offer him good possibilities in terms of coaching and prospects.

Dutch rules prevent clubs in the country from offering contracts longer than three years for players under the age of 18 and Fifa rules stipulate that the maximum compensation fee payable for transfers involving academy players is €364,000.

Bazoer has also attracted interest from marquee clubs in Spain and Italy but has decided to snub their interest because of the language barrier.

The centre-back, who speaks English, is weighing up whether to stay at PSV or opt for the greater glamour and riches of the Premier League.

City are believed to be marginal favourites in the race for Bazoer’s signature, although the growing interest of Chelsea could prove decisive. Newcastle United were also on the trail of the youngster but are no longer seriously in the running.

Bazoer is regarded as the defensive star in PSV’s prolific youth system, which lost Andreas Pereira to Manchester United last year.

He made his debut for Holland Under-17s as a 15-year-old in March and played in all five matches for the team that went on to win the European Under-17 championships in the summer.

Yeste: Llorente rumours harming Athletic Bilbao

Francisco Yeste believes the speculation surrounding the future of Fernando Llorente is harming Athletic Bilbao.

The striker is yet to sign a new deal at the club with his current contract expiring in June 2013 and former Los Leones midfielder thinks the situation is not helping the side.

“Right now I’m not in the Athletic locker-room so I do not know what is being experienced,” Yeste told Marca.

“[But] the way the year has started, the case of Llorente has unbalanced the atmosphere a bit.”

The Basque outfit have made a poor start to their Liga campaign having taken just 11 points from their first 10 games, but the 32-year-old believes current coach Marcelo Bielsa is still the right man for the job.

“I believe that Bielsa is very good and I don’t know that changing coaches would be the solution.

“I believe that the key to overcome the crisis is to allow the coach to work and give confidence to the players. They are a young team though and experienced players have come out of this.”

Atheltic host Sevilla at San Mames on Saturday afternoon.

Unhappy Tottenham striker Adebayor at odds with Villas-Boas after more crisis talks

EXCLUSIVE
By Greg Stobart

Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor is at odds with Andre Villas-Boas over his role in the side and has held a second round of crisis talks with the Spurs manager.

The Togolese striker has not started a single game in any competition this season and made his frustration known to Villas-Boas last month, before re-iterating his desire to play more following last weekend’s dreadful home defeat to Wigan.

Adebayor is now likely to make his first start of the campaign in Thursday’s Europa League clash against Maribor.

The former Arsenal man has, however, made it clear he is unhappy having anticipated being Tottenham’s first-choice striker when he completed a permanent €6.25 million move to the club in the summer, only to find himself out of the side with Jermain Defoe preferred in his place.

Villas-Boas explained privately that the 28-year-old was left out in the early part of the season due to concerns about his fitness – plus hamstring and back injuries – and failed to break into the side because of Defoe’s impressive form.

Despite him falling down the pecking order, Villas-Boas hailed Adebayor as one of the best strikers in the world, insisting he will not leave the club in the January transfer window amid rumours of interest from clubs in Spain.

“Adebayor is one of the great strikers of the world,” Villas-Boas said. “Certainly there is no interest in selling or loaning him in January. Unfortunately, it has not been working out for him this season because of injuries, but he is an important player.

“At the moment, we start with Defoe in a system that has given us some rewards, but Ade’s chances will come.”

Adebayor has not asked for a transfer but is a notoriously difficult character to handle, and his dissatisfaction with Villas-Boas will again put the spotlight on the Portuguese coach’s man-management style.

The former Chelsea boss lost his job at Stamford Bridge last season after alienating key members of the dressing room.

And while there are no suggestions of a player revolt at White Hart Lane, Villas-Boas faces a difficult period ahead of Sunday’s trip to Manchester City and the north London derby against Arsenal on November 17.

Follow Greg Stobart on

Macheda set to depart Manchester United in January

Manchester United striker Federico Macheda is poised to leave the club in January in search of first-team opportunities, his agent has revealed.

The 21-year-old enjoyed a bright start to his career at Old Trafford – coming off the bench to grab vital goals against Aston Villa and Sunderland, but has failed to establish himself since then.

With Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie, Javier Hernandez and Danny Welbeck all currently ahead of him in the pecking order, another spell away from the club looks likely when the transfer window reopens in January.

His agent Giovanni Bia told Tuttomercatoweb.com: “Federico at this time is not finding space, and so it is clear that in January he will go away.

“But I don’t think he’ll be back again in Italy because usually in January clubs are looking for players that are already ready, unless there are teams with a quiet standing which want to do long-term projects with him.”

Macheda joined United in 2007 and has netted 5 times in 33 appearances in all competitions for Sir Alex Ferguson’s side.

He has also had two loan spells away from the club so far – at Sampdoria and last season at QPR.