Beckham: I would never play for another Premier League club other than Manchester United

New Paris Saint-Germain signing David Beckham has revealed that he snubbed a number of offers from Premier League clubs during the January transfer window, insisting the only English team he would play for again is former side Manchester United.

The 37-year-old, who enjoyed a 10-year spell at Old Trafford before moving to Real Madrid in 2003, signed a five-month deal with the Ligue 1 giants on Thursday.
The deadline-day move brought to an end two months of speculation regarding the midfielder’s future, with West Ham, Tottenham and QPR all having previously been linked with the veteran.

“I was successful with Manchester United and always said I’d never want to play for another English club,” Beckham told reporters at a press conference to announce his move to PSG.

“I had a lot of history with Manchester United. It’s the team I support and the team I dreamt of playing for.

“I’m very honoured by the offers I had from other Premier League clubs but I didn’t want to play there unless it was for Manchester United.”

Official: Napoli take defender Rolando on loan from Porto

Napoli have strengthened their defence with the deadline-day capture of Porto star Rolando on a loan deal until the end of the season.

The 27-year-old centre-back comes in from the Portuguese champions to boost the numbers in the Partenopei back-line ahead of their Serie A run-in.

And Rolando, who passed a medical on Thursday morning before being presented with the sky blue shirt, has told the club’s official website that he cannot wait to get started.

“I am very happy to be here,” he said. “I wanted to join Napoli because they are a great club with many top players.

“I have spoken before about the passion of the fans, and I can’t wait to play at the San Paolo.”

Rolando joins Croatian midfielder Josip Radosevic as a new boy in Naples. The 18-year-old has also arrived on a loan deal until the end of the season from Hajduk Split, while Bruno Uvini has left the club for Siena on a short-term arrangement.

Arsenal agree Monreal fee but Amorebieta pursuit falls through

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Arsenal have agreed a fee with Malaga to sign Spain international left-back Nacho Monreal, Goal.com can reveal.

But the Gunners’ deadline-day pursuit of Athletic Bilbao centre-back Fernando Amorebieta has fallen through after he decided to stay in Spain until the summer.

The Londoners had centred their deadline-day sights on Spain as Arsene Wenger made a late bid to shore up his leaky defence.

Arsenal were in talks in the final hours of the window to sign both Monreal, 26, and Amorebieta, 27, with a fee of between £4 million and £6m being discussed for the Venezuela international.

Reports in Spain say that Monreal is on a flight to London to discuss terms with Arsenal.

Monreal, who has won nine caps for Spain, has emerged as Wenger’s specialist left-back target to provide competition for Kieran Gibbs, who suffered a thigh injury against Liverpool on Wednesday night.

The Gunners boss faces a race against the clock to bring him in, while he is also trying to off-load Andre Santos to Fenerbahce.

Goal.com revealed on Thursday morning that Arsene Wenger was planning at least one late swoop in a bid to shore up his leaky defence.

One option that had been considered by Wenger was to bring in a centre-half and switch versatile skipper Thomas Vermaelen to left-back.

He made a move for Amorebieta, a Venezuela international, after learning of his availability.

Bilbao president Josu Urrutia revealed on Wednesday that the club had withdrawn a contract offer made three weeks ago and admitted that “we cannot say that Amorebieta will be an Athletic player next season”.

Wenger wants at least one permanent signing to integrate into his defence, who have struggled against top quality opposition this season.

The manager is reluctant to use Gibbs’ deputy Santos at left-back during the absence of the Englishman, which is expected to be for around three weeks.

Santos’ former club Fenerbahce remain keen on taking the Brazilian back to Turkey and a deal is possible if they can match his wages.

Sunderland terminate Saha contract by mutual consent

Sunderland have confirmed that Louis Saha has left the club after his contract was terminated by mutual consent.

The Frenchman moved to the Stadium of Light on a one-year deal after leaving Tottenham in the summer, but failed to net in his 14 total appearances on Wearside.

The £5 million arrival of Danny Graham from Swansea on Thursday left the veteran striker surplus to requirements, and the Mackems have now decided to bring his contract to an early end.

Speaking to the club’s official website, Sunderland chief executive Margaret Byrne said: “We wish Louis all the very best for the future and thank him for his contribution to Sunderland.”

The former Fulham, Manchester United and Everton man is expected to pursue his career outside of Europe, with clubs in Brazil and MLS said to be showing an interest.

Official: AC Milan sign Bartosz Salamon

AC Milan have secured the services of Poland Under-21 international Bartosz Salamon from Brescia for an undisclosed fee. The towering defender has signed a contract until the summer of 2017 at San Siro.

The Rossoneri were in the market for defensive reinforcements following the departure of Francesco Acerbi earlier this winter, and they see Salamon as a valuable long-term addition to their squad.

Salamon, 21, joined Brescia from Lech Poznan at the age of 16, and had developed into an important first-team member at the Serie B outfit after a loan spell at Foggia in 2010-11.

The youngster had also caught the attention of a number of other Serie A sides, but has decided to continue his career at Milan.

Meanwhile, the Rossoneri have opted to sell 50 per cent of Alberto Paloschi’s economical rights to Chievo. The attacker is currently on loan at the Verona outfit, and has netted seven goals in 10 Serie A appearances so far.

Additionally, the San Siro outfit have sold goalkeeper Ferdinando Coppola to Torino. The 34-year-old already spent last season on loan at the Granata, and will now return to Turin.