Asmir Begovic has indicated that he will not be leaving Stoke in the January transfer window, and insists that the arrival of Jack Butland would be good for competition.The goalkeeper has been touted as a transfer target for Premier League leaders Manchester United, with many still unconvinced by David De Gea, while Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool have also reportedly shown interest.Despite growing speculation that the Bosnian is keen to complete a move to the Red Devils, the 25-year-old has now stated that he is likely to remain at the Britannia Stadium and is looking ahead to the rest of the season.
“As far as I know [I am staying at Stoke] yes,” he told Sky Sports News. “I’m in for training today so I’m looking forward to staying and looking forward to the game at the weekend.
“I don’t see anything happening now. I think that time’s passed. I’m just concentrating on what I need to do here.”
More to follow…
By Greg Stobart
Everton are locked in talks over a €11 million deadline day deal for Sevilla star Alvaro Negredo as they look to fight off competition from Tottenham.
The Toffees made the 27-year-old striker their top target after their £8.6m move for Leroy Fer from Twente collapsed yesterday due to the Dutch midfielder’s knee problems.
David Moyes is encouraging the club to push through the move for Negred, while Spurs also retain an interest in the Spain international having held two meetings this month over a potential transfer.
Tottenham have only proposed a loan deal with an option to make the move permanent at the end of the season, while Everton want an immediate transfer providing Sevilla significantly lower their €18m asking price.
Sources have told Goal.com that a €11m bid is likely to be enough to land Negredo, with Sevilla in need of funds and the player keen to test himself in the Premier League.
Negredo, who started his career at Real Madrid, has scored nine goals in 19 La Liga matches for Sevilla so far this season.
Spurs are desperate to bolster their strikeforce before the window closes with Emmanuel Adebayor currently away on international duty and Jermain Defoe struggling with a pelvic injury, but are unlikely to be able to force through a deal to sign long-term target Leandro Damiao from Internacional.
Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli has completed his move to AC Milan.
The two clubs agreed a deal on Tuesday afternoon for £20 million that will be spread over five years, while the Italy international is taking a pay cut on his £110,000 per-week to join the Serie A side.
More to follow…
Stephan El Shaarawy’s agent, Roberto La Florio, has revealed that the attacker could soon sign a new contract with AC Milan until the summer of 2018.
The Italy international inked a fresh deal with the San Siro giants until June 2017 at the start of this season, but Milan are ready to offer him a new and improved contract for one additional season following his fine performances in 2012-13.
“We will open contract talks with Milan over a new deal until 2018 in the upcoming days,” La Florio was quoted as saying by La Gazzetta dello Sport.
The 20-year-old joined the Rossoneri from Genoa in the summer of 2011, and has since developed into an important first team member at the Serie A giants.
El Shaarawy has already netted 15 goals in 22 league appearances this term, helping Milan to fifth spot in the league table after a difficult start.
Wigan have confirmed that Paul Scharner has returned to the club on loan from Hamburg after leaving the DW Stadium in 2010.
The defender originally joined the Latics in 2005 from Norwegian side Brann, scoring on his debut against Arsenal, before eventually moving on to West Brom in 2010.
The 32-year-old then made the switch from the Baggies to Germany at the end of last term but, after failing to cement his place in the Bundesliga team’s XI due to an early injury, will now stay with his former side for the remainder of this season.
The Austrian, who played for the Premier League side for four-and-a-half years prior to his departure, was delighted to be given the chance to return and help his former team-mates out.
“It really is fantastic to be back,” he told the club’s official website. “Wigan will always have a big place in my heart, so to be asked to come back and help the team now is something really special for me.”
The versatile player was a crowd favourite at the DW in his previous spell there and, after making 145 appearances for the team, only bettered by Emmerson Boyce (182) and Maynor Figueroa (169), he is certainly a loyal servant.
He becomes Roberto Martinez’s fourth signing of the January window, after Roger Espinoza, Joel Robles and Angelo Henriquez all made moves.
The new man will hope to boost Wigan’s push for safety after a recent run of four league games without a win has seen them slip into the relegation places.
However they will have a chance to move away from the drop zone in their next clash against fellow strugglers Southampton, and can take heart from coming back from 2-0 down to draw against Stoke on Wednesday.