Official: Toulalan signs for Monaco

The France international has returned to Ligue 1 as Claudio Ranieri seeks reinforcements to challenge for honours in the coming campaign

Monaco have completed the signing of midfielder Jeremy Toulalan from Malaga for an undisclosed fee.

Claudio Ranieri’s men secured promotion from Ligue 2 last season and have wasted no time in investing club president Dmitry Rybolovlev’s money to bulk the club with top signings this summer.

The France international, who has signed a two-year contract with an option to extend the deal by a season joins the likes of Radamel Falcao, James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho as Monaco prepare to challenge reigning champions Paris Saint-Germain for the Ligue 1 crown.

“Jeremy Toulalan, a international midfielder, has signed a 2-year contract with an option for an additional year,” a statement declared on the club’s official website.

“The player will be introduced to the media on July 8 during the press conference for the new players.”

Sporting director Vadim Vasilyev added: “We are happy with the signing of Jeremy. His skills, European and international experience will be an important asset for our team this season.”

The 29-year-old’s move to Stade Louis II marks his return to Ligue 1 having left Olympique Lyonnais two years ago.

Toulalan, who had been linked with Atletico Madrid, moved to Malaga in 2011 for a fee of around €10 million and established himself in Manuel Pellegrini’s side, but the club’s need to balance their books has led to his sale.

'Gomez wants to go to Fiorentina'

The striker is keen to join the Italian side, according to Bayern Munich chief Matthias Sammer, but he insists that the club must pay his valuation

Bayern Munich sporting director Matthias Sammer has revealed that Mario Gomez wants to join Fiorentina but warned the Serie A side he will only leave if his valuation is met.

The striker, 27, found himself behind Mario Mandzukic in the pecking order last season as Bayern claimed a Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB-Pokal treble.

Sammer has admitted that the Germany international wants to join the Florence-based club for first-team football, but he says the Bavarian club will not accept a cut-price offer.

“If the conditions are not right, then it’s just not going to work,” Sammer told Sport1.

“As long as our wishes remain unfulfilled, nothing is going to happen. But Mario wants to go to Fiorentina.”

Gomez has scored 113 goals in 174 appearances for Bayern since arriving from Stuttgart in May 2009.

He has also netted 25 goals in 58 appearances for Germany.

Galliani: Milan considering Ljajic as Robinho replacement

The Rossoneri are keen to capture the signature of Fiorentina’s star man but the club’s CEO has insisted someone will have to leave to balance the books

AC Milan are looking to secure the services of Fiorentina attacker Adem Ljajic to replace Robinho if the Brazilian leaves, says the club’s CEO Adriano Galliani.

Robinho has been linked with a return to Brazil to play for Santos but the transfer has stalled because Milan’s asking price is too high for the 29-year-old.

Galliani is not sure whether the forward will be at the club come the start of the season but, if he does depart San Siro, the Rossoneri chief says highly-rated Fiorentina man Ljajic, 21, could be part of their contingency plans.

“If Robinho does leave, there are several candidates to replace him, including Ljajic,” he told reporters.

“He is a Fiorentina player and I’m not sure they will want to sell. We are sure, however, we have a great team. Again, if someone leaves, someone will be signed, but otherwise we’re okay.”

With the Brazilian transfer market closing soon, Milan’s CEO knows time is running out to do a deal which would see Robinho leave the club for his homeland.

He added: “We are in discussions, but we only have a week to sort something – the Brazilian market close on 15 July.”

Meanwhile, Santos vice-president Odilio Rodriguez says negotiations are still taking place between Milan and his club over the transfer of the former Manchester City and Real Madrid forward.

Milan’s asking price has dropped to €8 million from €10m but no deal has been reached yet.

“The operation is still difficult,” he told Globo Esporte. “We need to analyse the total volume of money involved in this operation. But we are still discussing.”

Marchetti in the dark over Arsenal links

The Italy shot-stopper has caught the attention of the Gunners, who are looking to bolster their goalkeeping options, but the Lazio man says he is not aware of any interest

Lazio goalkeeper Federico Marchetti has insisted he knows nothing of rumours linking him with a move to Arsenal.

Marchetti, 30, has starred for the Biancocelesti since his arrival in 2011 and played a prominent role in their 2012-13 Coppa Italia success.

His form during last season has reportedly piqued the interest of Arsene Wenger, who is believed to be preparing a significant close-season outlay and could look to replace current No.1 Wojciech Szczesny.

“I don’t know anything,” Marchetti told Sky Italia. “I am on holiday and I’m only thinking about relaxing. The president knows what to do.”

Marchetti, whose contract with Lazio runs until 2016, has made 85 appearances for the Stadio Olimpico outfit.

The goalkeeper has nine senior caps with Italy.

Illarramendi to Real Madrid not a done deal – Ansotegui

The Real Sociedad midfielder has been heavily linked with a move to the Santiago Bernabeu but his defensive team-mate denies that a transfer has been completed

Asier Illarramendi is not a Real Madrid player yet and it is not worth speculating about his future, according to his Real Sociedad team-mate Ion Ansotegi.

According to reports, Madrid are set to offer la Real €30 million, which would be enough to prise the highly-rated Under-21 Spain international away from the Basque club as it triggers a release clause in his contract.

On Friday current skipper Xabi Prieto was adamant that it would take a hefty offer to lure Illarramendi away from the Anoeta and centre-back Ansotegui refused to be drawn on the rumours.

“Until we’re told anything, there’s no point talking about possibilities and hypothetical situations,” he told AS.

“For the moment all we know is that Asier is a ‘La Real’ player. Unless we’re told otherwise, he has to be here on Thursday [for training]. Those of us who are here should keep calm and not take any notice of what is being said.

 “It’s not down to me or any player to talk about what could happen in the future. Last year, Asier was very important for us; if he stays, he’ll continue to be important.

“He is a high-quality player, but he isn’t the only one. There are other players who played to a very high level [last season], and there will be teams who want to sign them. I don’t think it’s down to me to tell him to stay or to go. It’s something that Real, Madrid and he should decide.”

Illarramendi has a contract with Real Sociedad until 2018.