Willian completes Anzhi Makhachkala move

Anzhi Makhachkala have announced on their official website that they have completed the transfer of Willian from Shakhtar Donetsk for €35 million. The Brazil international has signed a contract until December 2017 with the Russian side.


Anzhi coach Guus Hiddink was keen to add some fresh blood to his squad as the Dagestan outfit are gunning for the domestic title, and he had earmarked Willian as the perfect addition.

Shakhtar were keen to hold on to the attacking midfielder, but had no other option but to accept Anzhi’s offer as they triggered the 24-year-old’s release clause.

There is a club willing to pay the release clause in his contract, and Willian agreed to move. There is nothing I can do,” commented Shakhtar boss Mircea Lucescu earlier this week.

Willian will join Anzhi at their training camp in Marbella on Saturday, but will have to wait for his official debut until the Russian league resumes after the winter break.

Anzhi currently sit second in the table with 41 points from 19 games, trailing leaders CSKA Moscow by two points.

Moyes confirms failed Everton bid for Negredo

Everton manager David Moyes has confirmed that the club attempted to sign Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo on transfer deadline day.


The Toffees made the Spaniard their top target after missing out on Twente midfielder Leroy Fer due to a problem with the player’s medical.

Moyes’ side were willing to spend €10.4 million on Negredo on the final day of the transfer window but the forward’s club were holding out for a higher fee.

The Everton boss told reporters: “We wanted to add players if we could who could go into the team and we tried to do that right up to the end, but for reasons out of our control it didn’t happen. It wasn’t for the want of trying, that is for sure.

“We tried [for Negredo], but it didn’t work. They wanted a lot more money than we offered.”

Meanwhile, Moyes also revealed his concerns with the Goodison Park pitch ahead of Saturday’s match against Aston Villa.

He added: “I’ve not even spoken to the groundsman. The groundsman’s not said anything about it.

“But it’s not as if we’ve played loads of games at Goodison this year. It’s not as if we’ve had loads of cup ties or lots of reserve games on it, so it’s not had an awful lot of football played on it.”

Newcastle will try to sign a striker in the summer, insists Pardew

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has confirmed that the club will look to sign a new striker in the summer.

The Magpies signed six new players in a busy January transfer window, with the last arrival being Swiss defender Kevin Mbabu, who joined the club on deadline day.

Pardew though still believes the club need a proven goal scorer following the exit of Demba Ba to Chelsea.

“When we lost out on Remy it was pretty evident we weren’t going to get a big striker,” Pardew told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

“They are pretty difficult to get over the line. You look around and nobody apart from Remy has really moved – maybe Danny Graham, but I don’t think he’s in that level.

“I think that’s something we will look at in the summer.”

Newcastle now have the likes of Gouffran, Papiss Cisse, Shola Ameobi and Adam Campbell to choose from up front, but Pardew believes that any manager would want more options up front.

“You always want another striker!” he added.

“I want Man United’s position – Van Persie, Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck. That would be nice. But we haven’t got that.”

Press prevented Zenit move, says Abate's agent

The agent of AC Milan defender Ignazio Abate has said a transfer to Zenit Saint Petersburg would have happened had the press not become involved.


The Italy international was widely linked with a move to the Russian giants during the January transfer window, but ultimately remained with the Rossoneri.

“I think the fact that the move was leaked probably stopped it,” Andrea D’Amico told Calciomercato.

“In football, news should only be spread when a deal is actually completed,” he added.

Abate played all 90 minutes of Milan’s last competitive fixture, a 1-0 away win over 10-man Atlanta in Serie A.

West Ham co-owner Sullivan claims to have been threatened by agent

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan has revealed that he was threatened with violence by an unnamed agent during the January transfer window.

Agents’ roles in modern football has been the subject of heavy debate in recent times, with QPR manager Harry Redknapp likening their behaviour to “gang warfare”.

And Sullivan has revealed the lengths some agents are prepared to go to to secure a deal, comparing them to “scavengers”.

“In this window, I have had an agent threaten me and threaten one of our West Ham players with physical violence, because he thought he was being cut out of a deal,” Sullivan told The Daily Mail.

“I heard of three or four agents trying to jump in on other deals. Some of these people are like scavengers.

“It was all deeply unpleasant and I’m glad it’s over. Now we can get on with the football.”

Sullivan went on to agree with Redknapp’s comments and called for the Football Association to cap the astronomic amounts that are now commonplace among agents during transfer negotiations.

He continued: “Harry Redknapp was right: it feels like gang warfare out there and I can see it spilling over into violence in the future, unless there is legislation from the FA to curb the practices.

“We are talking millions of pounds here around a transfer and not enough deals to go around. There are too many agents and not enough transfers to feed them.

“Agents who would once demand €57,500 for their part in a transfer, now want €575,000 to €1.1 million to either bring a player or keep a player. It is quite outrageous and the FA should cap the amount paid to agents for their work.

“I heard of one agent, who took over representation of a player for one day, and he wanted to be paid between €1.43m and £1.72m for his part in negotiating a new contract.”