Lewandowski: I will give everything for Dortmund

The striker has assured supporters he will do his utmost for the team on the pitch this year despite his public desire to leave the club

Robert Lewandowski has vowed to “give everything” for Borussia Dortmund this season despite the uncertainty surrounding his future.

The Poland international has long been linked with a move to Bayern Munich, although BVB’s determination to hold on to their star striker means he is likely to see out his contract with the club, which expires next summer.

Lewandowski recently admitted his public desire to leave Signal Iduna Park had caused “trouble” amongst some of his team-mates but, after featuring in Dortmund’s 4-2 DFL-Supercup win over Bayern on Saturday, he has assured supporters his sole focus will be on performing well when he wears the Schwarzgelben shirt.

“I will give everything for Dortmund, no matter what. When I stand on the pitch and play, I think of BVB. I will do my best and be successful,” he was quoted as saying by Bild.

“I hope that [Supercup] was not the last trophy.”

Liverpool should offload Suarez as soon as possible, warns Barnes

The former Reds winger has urged the club to sell the wantaway striker because there is no way of guaranteeing his commitment to the side should he remain at Anfield

Former Liverpool midfielder John Barnes says the club should aim to sell Luis Suarez as soon as possible.

Goal revealed that the striker is preparing to hand in a formal transfer request in order to secure a move to Arsenal, who submitted an improved £42 million bid for the Uruguay international last week.

Barnes has urged the club to sort out the striker’s future quickly because he fears they will have no time to find and secure an adequate replacement should he leave.

“We’ve seen in the past when transfers go down to the last minute that it doesn’t help anybody, especially for a club like Liverpool who, if they lose Suarez, would have to find a big-name replacement,” he told talkSPORT.

“I’d like it to be done sooner rather than later because if it goes down to the last day, and you then have to go and get somebody, it’s not ideal.

“As far as Suarez is concerned, if he’s not going to be happy, then he has to go.

“We can all say, ‘yes, we think Suarez is going to be a player like Carlos Tevez, who gives 100 per cent no matter what’ but we don’t know what his mental state is going to be if he doesn’t get his wish [to leave the club].”

Volkswagen boss urges Wolfsburg to make Luiz Gustavo move

The Brazilian has been linked with a switch to Dieter Hecking’s side this summer although he has denied he is keen to quit Bayern Munich

Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn has urged Wolfsburg to step up their pursuit of Bayern Munich midfielder Luiz Gustavo.

Dieter Hecking’s side confirmed earlier this month they were interested in signing the Brazil international, who has slipped down the pecking order at the Allianz Arena following the summer arrivals of Mario Gotze and Thiago Alcantara.

Winterkorn, whose VW Group owns the Bundesliga outfit, has now backed die Wolfe to continue their efforts to sign the midfielder, despite his claims he is happy to stay at Bayern.

“I say, if a player is on the market, efforts should be made to get him,” the 66-year-old told Bild when asked about the player.

The 26-year-old Luiz Gustavo, who joined Bayern from Hoffenheim for €17 million in 2011, has a contract until June 2015.

Casillas: We must be grateful to Mourinho

The Spain captain believes the Portuguese coach made an important contribution to Real Madrid during his three-year spell and believes Gareth Bale is one of Europe’s very best

Iker Casillas insists he is grateful to former Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho for his contribution to the success of the club.

Mourinho won three trophies during his three-year stint at Santiago Bernabeu, although the latter part of his tenure is best remembered for a public fall-out with Casillas which led to the club captain being frozen out of the first team.

Casillas, however, has stressed that the current Chelsea boss’ efforts in La Liga cannot be ignored, although he is relishing the prospect of beginning a new campaign under replacement coach Carlo Ancelotti.

“I’ve only been training with Carlo, I don’t know what differences there are [between Ancelotti and Mourinho], but it’s not a question of looking back. You have to be grateful for Mourinho’s contribution to Real Madrid, but now we have to start with the hope that the club can be at the top,” he told a press conference.

“He’s a winner, that’s obvious to everyone, but he’ll make it clear from the beginning. This club was on the edge of titles last season; we want to complete our objectives in all three competitions.”

Madrid have been heavily linked with a renewed push for Tottenham star Gareth Bale in the coming weeks, with Spurs determined to hold on to their star man despite his desire to leave, and Casillas is not surprised to see los Blancos once again chasing one of Europe’s finest.

“We’re talking about a player who, frankly, is one of the best three or four players in Europe, and it’s normal to talk about him,” the 32-year-old said.

“We’re talking about a decisive player. The market is still open and I’m sure someone will arrive here before the beginning of the Liga season.”

Finally, Casillas says competition for places at the club is good under Ancelotti – but admitted he was desperate to regain his No.1 spot next season.

“Competition is always healthy. There are very good goalkeepers here and we must learn to live with that. I hear a lot about competition for my post, but in other parts of the pitch there are two or three players for one position as well,” he added.

“I would love to be No.1 keeper. I work for it. But if you ask the others, they’re going to say the same. You have to compete to play in the XI of Ancelotti. I will have to fight as I always have.”

Moyes confident over new Manchester United signings

The Red Devils boss remains optimistic he can add new blood to his squad ahead of the new season despite suffering a number of setbacks in the transfer market already this summer

Manchester United manager David Moyes remains confident he can still bring in new signings this summer.

The Red Devils have had multiple bids for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas turned down and are now considering a move for Everton’s Marouane Fellaini as a cheaper and more attainable alternative.

The Scot admits he would have liked to have wrapped up his transfer business at the beginning of the window but says he remains hopeful of completing deals in the coming weeks.

“Ideally, you would get your signings done early. It is better if you can do that. But for different reasons it has not been possible to get them done at this moment in time. But I am confident we will get them done,” he told the Daily Mail.

The increased spending power of Manchester United’s European rivals, Monaco and Paris Saint-Germain in particular, has made acquiring the continent’s top talent more difficult for the Premier League champions. Moyes, however, believes United can still trump their rivals because of their history and reputation.

He continued: “That is not something Manchester United are frightened of. Manchester United are more than happy to compete with all of the teams. There has been a change in the dynamic because of PSG coming on the scene recently. That has altered things. But Manchester United will always compete.

“One thing it has got is the history. It has got the name. It has got the success. Players do want to be connected to that and one day say they have played for Manchester United. That is a big pull for any player.”

The former Everton boss also urged fans to consider the club’s long-term future rather than judge him on instant results.

“If you win one game folk will think you are good,” he added. “If you lose one folk will think you are rubbish. You hope there is a little bit of sense and people understand where you are going. It is a big job.

“It is a new job. It will take time, as it would for anybody else. In a way, we are as much preparing for next year as we are this year at Manchester United. This club is always preparing for the future. We are looking at targets we hope to sign in a year’s time, not necessarily just this year.”