Perez: Ronaldo wants to stay

Los Blancos president remains confident that the club will come to an agreement with the Portugal international by the end of the summer

Florentino Perez is convinced that Cristiano Ronaldo wants to end his career with Real Madrid.

The 28-year-old scored two goals on Wednesday night as los Blancos beat Chelsea 3-1 in the final of the Guinness International Champions Cup and celebrated by pointing his finger at the club’s crest.

However, the Portugal international has been linked with a return to Manchester United, while the club have continued to pursue Tottenham winger Gareth Bale.

But the 66-year-old is confident they can reach a new deal with their star forward, following reports a five-year contract worth €17 million has already been struck in principle to make Ronaldo the best paid player in La Liga.

“We are all convinced that he will end his playing days at Real Madrid,” Perez told ESPN.

“At the end of the summer we will try to resolve this matter.

“The season starts next week, but before the end of the month or the beginning of next month, I’m sure [it will be sorted out].”

“There is no great hurry because there is good will on his part and we will resolve it satisfactorily. At least that is my wish, and I believe it is his too.”

Earlier this week, the former Man United star was named on a three-man shortlist, along with Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery, for Uefa’s Best Player in Europe award.

Ronaldo is entering his fifth season with the club and has scored 146 goals in 135 games since arriving at Santiago Bernabeu.

'€116m for Bale is a lot of money', says Real Madrid president

Los Blancos chief Florentino Perez has cast doubt over a move for the 24-year-old, with Tottenham holding out for a world-record fee for the Wales international

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has played down reports that Tottenham’s Gareth Bale is close to moving to the Spanish capital, citing the fee for the Welshman as “a lot of money”.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy held decisive talks with the Madrid chief in Florida this week, with the north London club holding out for €116 million for the PFA and FWA Player of the Year.

But Perez has refuted claims that a deal for Bale is close to being struck, and has baulked at the world-record fee Tottenham are demanding for the 24-year-old.

In an interview with ESPN, Perez said: “We have spoken to lots of people and let’s see what happens in our negotiations – with this player (Bale) and others.

“We don’t usually talk about other players, out of respect to the player, to the club and the president (Levy), who is a friend of mine, with whom I built a good friendship last summer during the signing of Luka Modric.

“If I don’t speak about names, I won’t speak about money either… If you say 100 million, that’s a lot [of money] – for anything! I can’t speak and I shouldn’t speak – out of respect to the club (Tottenham), I can’t [say any more]…”

Madrid players Fabio Coentrao and Alvaro Morata could yet be included in any deal for Bale, reducing the cash required to take the former Southampton star to the Santiago Bernabeu.

Bale scored 26 goals in all competitions for Tottenham last season and added a further 15 assists, as Spurs narrowly missed out on a place in the Champions League to north London rivals Arsenal.

His current deal at White Hart Lane runs until June 2016.

Lisandro Lopez set for Al-Gharafa switch

The Argentine forward looks likely to end his spell in Ligue 1 after the French club granted him permission to join the Qatari outfit

Lisandro Lopez is set to end his four-year spell at Lyon and move to Qatari side Al-Gharafa.

The 30-year-old joined Lyon from Porto in 2009, but is now ready to end his four-year spell in Ligue 1.

A statement on Lyon’s official website read: “Olympique Lyonnais announces its acceptance of a request made to president Jean-Michel Aulas, at the end of the May and again in July, by Lisandro Lopez to leave the club in the summer transfer window for personal reasons.

“Lisandro was authorised to travel to Qatar yesterday evening (Wednesday), where he must finalise the terms of a potential contract with Al-Gharafa and undergo a medical prior to his engagement with his new club.

“Olympic Lyonnais will reveal the conditions of the transfer agreement as soon as it has been confirmed.

“Lisandro will be present on Saturday at the Stade de Gerland for the match agains OGC Nice.”

The Argentine forward scored 81 goals during his time at Lyon.

His departure leaves Bafetimbi Gomis – whose proposed moved to Newcastle is on hold – as the French club’s only senior centre forward.

Wolf unhappy with Monaco spending

The 31-year-old is excited about the prospect of playing alongside the likes of Radamel Falcao, but fears the side will be left in financial disarray in the future

Monaco defender Andreas Wolf has revealed his unhappiness with the club’s summer spending spree and warned their new look squad will take time to gel.

After winning promotion to Ligue 1 last season, owner Dimitry Rybolovlev has spent €146 million on the likes of Radamel Falcao, James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho in a bid to take the division by storm.

But Wolf is yet to be convinced that his side’s grand transfer outlay will be a guarantee of success and fears the club will be left in a mess if their wealthy owner decides to withdraw his investment in the future.

“On the one hand I am pleased that I have the opportunity to play football with such people,” he told Kicker.

“On the other hand I see it with some scepticism, because so much money is being spent.

“I think that it makes the football somewhat broken. If the donors leave, the clubs are stuck.

“You should look at this season with caution, finally we have a new team, but we need time. Nothing is guaranteed.”

Wolf arrived at the Stade Louis II in January 2012, starting 19 games for the club last season, but will face fierce competition for a starting slot this term, with Ricardo Carvalho and Eric Abidal both reinforcing the defence.

Fabregas rules out Barcelona exit

The Spain international was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United this summer but has now insisted he will not leave the Blaugrana

Cesc Fabregas says he has no intention of leaving Barcelona this summer amid serious interest from Manchester United.

The Premier League side saw two offers for the Spain international turned down by the Liga giants, with Barca sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta stating earlier this month that United had ended their pursuit of Fabregas following Barca’s latest rejection.

Speculation about Fabregas’ future at the Camp Nou side continued, though, only for the midfielder to now make it clear that he will not leave the club this summer.

“It has always been my dream to play for Barcelona and that has not changed. I am very happy with life at the club and I have never thought about leaving Barca,” the 26-year-old said at a press conference.

“I never had any doubts about my future here. It cost me a lot to return to Barca and all I want now is to be successful here.”

Fabregas joined Barcelona from Arsenal in the summer of 2011 and has a contract with the Spanish giants until June 2016.