Atletico Mineiro accept Shakhtar Donetsk's Bernard bid

The sought-after 20-year-old has an offer on the table from the Ukrainian champions, but the expectation in Brazil is that a move to Porto could be completed in the coming days

Atletico Mineiro have accepted an offer from Shakhtar Donetsk for Bernard, according to the Brazilian club’s president.

However, Bernard appears closer to a move to Porto, with his father having revealed that compatriot Hulk has convinced him to move to Portugal, while his agent wants the same and has branded a move to Arsenal “risky”.

Rumours in Brazil on Tuesday have indicated that a transfer to the Portuguese champions could be finalised on Friday, but Atletico chief Alexandre Kalil has revealed that, so far, only Shakhtar have submitted an offer that matches the club’s asking price of €25 million.

“Things are very advanced, [Wednesday] will probably be his last game [for the club],” he told reporters. “The team is Shakhtar. They offered the value we want. If Bernard wants, he will go.

“If he does not want to go to Ukraine, that’s no problem. It’s in his hands. I have talked with him. It’s a private matter. If he does not want to go, we will not force him.”

The 20-year-old has also confirmed that he is considering the offer, but that he is yet to decide if it will be right move for him ahead of next summer’s World Cup.

“I don’t know if it will be best for me, I’m talking with my family,” he was reported as saying by Lancenet. “But nothing is certain yet. I had a meeting with the president and he told me what Shakhtar offered him and myself. It is between Porto and Shakhtar.”

Bernard, who has been named in Luiz Felipe Scolari’s squad to face Switzerland on August 14, had himself suggested in a press conference on Monday that Wednesday’s Brazilian league match against Atletico Paranese would be his final appearance for the Belo Horizonte side.

The attacker also said that he hopes the saga that has surrounded his future is soon brought to a close, but hopes to stay with the Copa Libertadores winners until after December’s Club World Cup campaign.

“I want to resolve it quickly, if go or stay, because this story is already boring,” he told reporters. “I want to stay [to compete in the Club World Cup], I made it clear I did not want to go before the end of the year.

“If I have the opportunity to sign and go after the Club World Cup that would be very important. I want to have the chance to win it for Atletico.”

Bernard, who had attracted interest from Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool, wants his next club to provide him with the opportunity to play in the World Cup.

“I’ve been studying the possibilities and proposals that have been put forward to Atletico and to me,” he added. “We are looking and talking, seeing what is best for us.

“I want to be at a club that gives me visibility. I said I want to be at the World Cup and my chances grow by being at a club with good visibility. I want to be playing, regardless of where it is, but I want to be happy.”

The suggestion in the Brazilian media, fuelled by talk from Bernard’s agent and his father, is that Porto would be a better option for the player given the failure of Willian and Fernandinho to make the Brazil squad on a regular basis while playing in Ukraine.

Milan not giving up on Honda's summer arrival

The Serie A giants are hopeful there is still an outside chance they could sign the Japan international before the end of the current transfer window

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani believes the club’s pursuit of CSKA Moscow midfielder Keisuke Honda could take another twist by revealing he could still join the Rossoneri this summer.

The Japan international, whose contract in the Russian capital expires in December, has repeatedly been linked with a move to San Siro in recent months, with both clubs previously reported to be nearing a deal for the player.

However, the proposed switch was thrown into some doubt recently after the club’s president, Yevgeni Giner, claimed the 27-year-old could be held for the remainder of his existing deal.

But Galliani says he is still hopeful an agreement can be reached before the end of the transfer window.

He told reporters: “There might still be an outside chance that Honda could join us.

“Over the next few days there could be the opportunity to hold a meeting with CSKA Moscow directors.”

Honda has netted 19 times in 78 appearances for the capital club since arriving from VVV Venlo in 2009.

'David Luiz won't come to Munich' – Guardiola rules out Bayern move for Chelsea star

The 42-year-old has denied the Champions League holders are set to launch a big-money bid for the defender, who continues to be linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has ruled out a possible move for Chelsea defender David Luiz.

The Brazil international has been heavily linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge this summer, with Bayern and Guardiola’s former side Barcelona both mooted as potential suitors.

However, Guardiola has insisted he is happy with his existing defensive options and that there are no plans for the current Champions League winners to make a move for Luiz.

“David Luiz won’t come to Munich. I have four, five central defenders, and I am happy with them,” Guardiola told reporters ahead of the Audi Cup.

Bayern head in to the pre-season Audi Cup tournament which also includes Manchester City, AC Milan and Sao Paulo, on the back of a 4-2 loss to Borussia Dortmund in the Supercup.

And Guardiola has highlighted the importance of the returning Franck Ribery after he missed Saturday’s defeat, and gave an update on the availability of a number of key players ahead of their match against Sao Paulo.

He continued: “There are no excuses for that defeat. We recognized how difficult it is, if you always want to win. Franck is an important player, it did hurt us that he could not play.

“Dante, [Javi] Martinez and [Luiz] Gustavo are ready for tomorrow. I don’t know how long they will play, though. Mario [Gotze] will train with the team on Friday.

“Bastian [Schweinsteiger] is an unbelievable player. He has a lot of experience, but he is not completely fit right now. He needs a little more time. He says so, and so do the doctors. I am not sure yet if I will play with one or two defensive midfielders.

“Thiago is fit, and I have to work with the players who are fit right now. We have a big squad, everyone wants to play. We will see.”

Mascherano confident Fabregas will snub Manchester United

The ex-Liverpool man believes his team-mate is happy with life at Camp Nou and will resist a return to the Premier League in favour of remaining at the Liga giants

Javier Mascherano is confident team-mate Cesc Fabregas will resist the opportunity to join Manchester United and a return to the Premier League to remain at Barcelona.

United have already has two bids rejected for the ex-Arsenal man as new boss David Moyes sets about strengthening his side’s central-midfield position, with Goal exclusively revealing the club will return with a final €40 million bid.

However, Mascherano believes Fabregas is happy with life back in Spain and will be a key player for the club under their new coach Gerardo Martino.

“I didn’t talk to him but I think he is happy,” he told Sky Sports News. “It is difficult when you have to speak about the personal situation of other players because sometimes you don’t know what they think.

“I see him here training and he is happy. He grew up in Barcelona and feels the call of the shirt.

“It is difficult when you grow up here to leave because Barcelona is a big team, a big city, really nice to live in and all his family is here.

“I think he is a really key player for us and I think the coach and the people who work here want to keep him.”

Martinez will cost €40m, says agent

The Porto striker has been widely linked with a move to Napoli but the Partenopei will have to pay his buyout clause to bring him to the San Paolo

Jackson Martiniez’s agent has warned Napoli that they must pay his client’s €40 million release clause to secure the Porto striker’s services.

Partonopei boss Rafa Benitez has confirmed that his side are interested in bringing another striker to the club this summer, with the 26-year-old widely linked with a move to the San Paolo.

And his representative, Manuel Monzo, has confirmed that his client has agreed personal terms with the club, but stressed that they are yet to strike a deal with the Serie A club.

“There’s an agreement with the player, but we’re missing one with Porto and the club don’t want to sell him,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

The only way it could happen in my opinion is that they pay the €40m release clause, otherwise he won’t leave.”

Porto have also lost Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez