Joe Cole should return to Lille – Yohan Cabaye

Yohan Cabaye has suggested that Joe Cole should return to Lille as the Englishman has so far failed to earn a regular starting berth back Liverpool despite a successful season-long loan at the Ligue 1 club.

The midfielder has made only two starts under Brendan Rodgers’ new-look team, including a mid-week run out against Swansea in the Capital One Cup, when the Welsh side defeated the Reds 3-1 at Anfield.

And Cabaye believes that a return to France would be in the best interests of all parties involved.

Ahead of Liverpool’s home game against Newcastle on Sunday, the Magpies’ midfielder told The Mirror: “It’s difficult for him [Cole] because he’s not playing so much.

“He did well for Lille and maybe it would be a good choice to go back. He is not playing a lot with Liverpool, so if he wants more games, he can play more there.

“They like him at Lille – the club, the ­manager and the fans. I heard manager Rudi Garcia was keen to take him back.”

Cole made 38 appearances whilst on loan to the French club, in contrast to his fringe status back at Liverpool.

Eduardo omits Tottenham from list of recommended clubs for team-mate Willian

Shakhtar Donetsk striker Eduardo has given his team-mate Willian a list of prospective Premier League clubs to join should an expected offer come his way – but summer suitors Tottenham are not included.

Andre Villas-Boas is said to be a long-term fan of the 24-year-old, but failed in an attempt to snap up the midfielder in August due when the two clubs’ differing valuations of the player prevented a deal from materialising.

Now Eduardo has told The Mirror: “There are three clubs who are big enough and good enough for Willian – ­Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea.

“I have recommended these clubs – no others. He needs to play at one of the best teams.

“Willian is a complete player now. He is ready to play for a big club and become a really big ­player.

“He should play at a top, top club because he is a class player. He can play in England, for sure.

“We always talk and watch ­Premier League games together.

“He asks me about England and the English game and I tell him ­little things.”

The Brazilian playmaker has, however, expressed an interest in playing for Tottenham or Chelsea, insisting that game-time would be an essential factor in his decision about which club to join.

And he has admitted he would love to play for Tottenham after regular communication between Villas-Boas and himself led to the two becoming friends.

Willian will travel to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea on Wednesday along with his Shaktar Donetsk team-mates as they look to boost their chances of qualifying for the next round of the Champions League.

Mancini coy over Manchester City pursuit of Neymar

Manchester City look set to embark on a big-money pursuit of Neymar as they attempt to bolster their attacking options, but Roberto Mancini anticipates stiff competition for the striker’s signature.

Newly-appointed sporting director Txiki Begiristain has been tasked with luring him to the Etihad Stadium, though the English champions’ boss is coy about their chances of securing a deal, acknowledging that at least one other major club is in the race should the Brazilian opt for a move to Europe.

“I don’t know if it is true that Barcelona have already made a down-payment for Neymar,” Mancini told reporters after his side’s 0-0 draw against West Ham.

“I think when Txiki starts to work here next week we can start to talk about the future for us because this is very important.

“Neymar is a Santos player and I don’t know what can happen with him in the future.”

Mancini is looking forward to working with Begiristain, also concealing a hint of criticism aimed at former sporting director Brian Marwood with whom he shared a strained relationship.

“I am very happy to [commence] work with the new sporting director because he gives us the chance to move very quickly regarding some players,” Mancini added.

“If we work well together then the next three or four years for Manchester City can be very strong.”

Christian Eriksen: I don't regret snubbing Manchester City

Christian Eriksen has defended his decision to snub Premier League champions Manchester City, after openly expressing his love for Ajax.

The 20-year-old has become a crucial part of Ajax’s line-up, and even scored against Roberto Mancini’s men when Manchester City travelled to the Amsterdam Arena for a Champions League group match last month.

The Denmark international told The Mirror: “I think many other players would have said ‘Yes’ to City’s offer, but I had my own ­reasons for turning them down.

“I remember my agent calling me to tell me that they had come in for me, but I told him straight away that I did not see any point in ­moving to ­Manchester City – and I still don’t. At the end of my career, we will see if I took the right decision.

“But I feel much more at home at a club like Ajax. I really don’t want to swap this club for another yet.”

Eriksen’s agent met Manchester City representatives on several occasions to close a £20 million deal, but after hearing that Roberto Mancini was away on holiday and would not be able to tour the Dane around the club, the midfielder snubbed the English outfit.

Eriksen continued: “Age-wise, I am still a young boy. But I have played in both the World Cup and the Euros for Denmark.

“If you wanted a clothes size to judge my status, I would say that I am between medium and large.

“So, I still have some growing time to get to XL!”

Manchester City host Ajax at the Etihad on Tuesday evening, needing a win to ensure that they are still able to qualify for the next round of the competition, despite gaining only one point from their first three games.

Cristiano Ronaldo & Ibrahimovic can play together at Paris Saint-Germain, insists Ancelotti

Carlo Ancelotti says there is room at Paris Saint-Germain for both Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Cristiano Ronaldo, the latter of whom has been linked with the side recently.

Gazzetta dello Sport claimed earlier in the week that the Ligue 1 leaders have made the signing of the 27-year-old a priority and were willing to pay Real Madrid up to 100 million for his services, but president Nasser Al-Khelaifi was quick to pour scorn on the report.

Nonetheless, super agent Mino Raiola responded favourably to the speculation on Friday by stating he could foresee the pair of stars play together in the PSG line-up without any qualms, and their coach similarly believes that there is scope for an understanding.

Today, I am sure [Jeremy] Menez, [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic, [Kevin] Gameiro and [Guillaume] Hoarau can all play well together,” Ancelotti told RMC Sport.

If [Cristiano] Ronaldo comes, Ibrahimovic will also be here. I have to find a good combination for both of them to play together.

Ibrahimovic was rested in the 2-0 win over arch-rivals Olympique de Marseille in the Coupe de la Ligue on Wednesday, and while Ancelotti was delighted to prove to the critics that they are not over-reliant on the Swede, he remains an essential player.

“It is true that we played well against Marseille, but we also played without Ibra more efficiently than we did before,” he added.

“He is indispensable in helping us win matches, but also in the game he not only has the ability to score, but to give the ball to his team-mates.